• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kickstarter Fabled Lands: The Serpent King's Domain soft launch on Kickstarter

Sir Knight

First Post
My name is Richard S. Hetley and I've posted on your forums to share gamebook-related projects (e.g.) that I and my friends ran on Kickstarter. Gamebooks are what would be called "Choose Your Own Adventure"-style books if that weren't a copyrighted term, or sometimes solo role-playing. Today we hoped to interest you in our upcoming project on July 8 for Fabled Lands: The Serpent King's Domain.

The preview page is here, complete with free playable demo:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/57119387/2100439267?token=488bd8fd

We have quite a cast on board in development, including original authors Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson, contemporary author Paul Gresty (from Arcana Agency: The Thief of Memories), and classic artists Russ Nicholson and Kevin Jenkins. Kevin, by the way, may be recognized as concept artist on Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor 2, World War Z, and more.

The game is basically a "next gen MMO," but programmed into a paper gamebook and not a computer. You can strive to overcome villains and monsters or spend the whole game as a merchant trader plying the seas. And the difficulty is real, too: it's a game of matching your abilities to the challenges, and quite often you'll have to come back later once you've made up for your character's weaknesses. The writing is around 1/5 complete and will come in time, but our main need for funding is to afford the quality art (see the art meter on the page).

With this soft launch we wanted to get feedback from RPG, tabletop, and gamebook fans, and anyone else who loves creativity in gaming. We also invite you to follow the project (click "Notify me on launch"). So please take a look, leave your thoughts, and share it and the demo with your friends. Then please come back and help us out in July!

Thanks for reading!

Remove ads