D&D General Favored Enemies

What are your favorite 3 antagonist creature types in what you write?

• Aberrations

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Beasts

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Celestials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Constructs

• Dragons

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Elementals

• Fey

• Fiends

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Giants

• Humanoids

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Monstrosities

• Oozes

• Plants

• Swarms

• Undead

Votes: 6 60.0%

J-H

Hero
I realized today that I seem to have some favored enemies in the modules I write as a DM.

Castle Dracula (Castlevania): Undead, including lots of skeletons and some vampires. Secondary: Constructs
Against the Idol of the Sun: Humanoids, specifically Aarakocra and their priests.
Death Knight's Tomb: Undead
Ghost Farm: Constructs, secondary of undead.
Goblin Defense: Humanoids, specifically adventurers (party are goblins doing lair building/defense)
Magus Sanctum: Traps, secondary of Constructs (burgling an abandoned wizard's vacation home)
Trail of the Hungering Dead: Undead, specifically a bunch of varieties of ghouls.
In progress: Baldur's Gate II. Primary is humanoid, lots of variety in secondaries.
In progress: Aberrations. Secondary: Constructs and one undead.
In progress: Castlevania 2: Undead, including lots of skeletons and some vampires.
My next idea after the last two in progress ones are done: Play as vampires trying to overthrow a city. Enemies: Humanoid, but still with an undead focus.

Out of 11 adventures, 5 have undead as the primary enemy, and 2 more have undead as a substantial thematic focus. Humanoids are second most common, at 4. Constructs are pretty common, too.

The following show up only as secondary/tertiary enemies, not in large numbers:
Dragons (I've only ever written 2 dragon battles, and one was Dracula's second form)
Elementals
Monstrosities
Oozes

The following have never shown up as major or secondary enemies, and only tend to appear as travel/random encounters:
Beasts
Celestials
Fey
Fiends
Giants *except for trolls, and undead versions of ogres.
Plants
Swarms

Has anyone else noticed a bias towards or away from certain enemy types?
The statistical analysis of the MM, monsters, etc., has been based the assumption that every enemy is used equally often, yet this is probably not the case.

aco175

Legend
If I'm writing an old, musty, tomb I like to have undead and constructs and elementals about. Maybe not all of them at once.

Richards

Legend
Your thread is labeled "D&D General" but your creature type list seems to be 5E specific. Since I run D&D 3.5 exclusively, I can't answer your poll as written, so I'll just do so here in the verbiage: I probably tend to use humanoids, monstrous humanoids, and undead more than other creature types, overall.

Johnathan

Remove ads