D&D 5E Favourite 2nd level spells?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
So it seems I'm a bit in love with 2nd level spells. I get giddy choosing them.

I understand that the real powerhouses come online with 3rd level as in Fireball, Spirit Guardians, Hypnotic Pattern, Counterspell, Haste, Fly etc. but 2nd level are so great and there's a load of choice.

My faves are: Misty Step, Vortex Warp (I love repositioning the battlefield) and Tasha's Mind Whip
Some powerful ones: Web, Suggestion, Pass without Trace
Some helpful ones: Lesser Restoration, Enhance Ability, Calm Emotions
Some mighty combat: Spiritual Weapon, Scorching ray, Flaming Sphere, Shadow Blade, Spike Growth, Shatter

What are your favourite 2nd level spells?

jgsugden

Legend
Aid - Non-concentration multi-PC buff / healing. My Divine Soul Sorcerer uses quickened aid spells to get multiple PCs back on their feet.

Alter Self - This is such an amazing spell. I've used it a lot for non-combat purposes.

Augury - This can be very powerful with the right DM. If your DM is a 'Always Wal and woe' person, it is a waste.

Blindness/Deafness - There are very few spells with a duration that hamper enemies and do not require concentration. This can nuke spellcasters that have may spells that rely upon sight.

Darkness - There are a lot of ways to abuse it.

Detect Thoughts - This is insanely powerful for gathering information. I use it a lot in games with high RP. However, it is often very much a violation to use it.

Find Steed - A hidden class ability, this is one of those spells PCs try to be able to cast even if not a paladin.

Fortune's Favor - 1 Hour of initiative bonus can be huge, no concentration.

Hold Person - the Person limitation is rough in some adventures, but meaningless in others. It is so powerful to paralyze an enemy.

Invisibility - No explanation necessary.

Mirror Image - You're negating three hits on you. That can be a lot of damage you avoid. No concentration.

Misty Step - No explanation needed.

Nystul's Magic Aura - OMG this spell is overlooked. When I run a wizrd, I always mask and false aura a lot of things given the time to make them permanent.

Pass without Trace - This is a game changer for stealth.

Phantasmal Force - People think of this as primarily a combat spell. I think of it as an out of combat spell primarily. For example, if a guard sees you do something and reports it to their supervisor in your absence, the excuse holds up even to magical interrogation to see if the guard is lying.

Rime's Binding Ice - This is a killer in aerial combat.

Rope Trick - This has a lot of sneaky uses.

Scorching Ray - This is my default 2nd level damage spell.

Silence - This is underestimated as a utility spell.

Spiritual Weapon - For PCs that do not use their bonus action regularly, this is a lot of damage for a 2nd level spell.

Suggestion - If you can communicate, and the DM is not constantly trying to limit you, this can be very powerful.

Tasha's Mind Whip - An absolute solo killed.

Vortex Warp - Probably the most versatile 2nd level spell.

Warding Bond - This is a great spell. +1 AC and +1 Saving throws, by itself, as a non-concentration buff is increible. If you'fre a high HP spellcaster in the back of the party, this allows you to put your hp to good use.

I have seen a lot of those spells in action and many are game changers.

The most used were actually enhance ability(Dex or Wis), invisibility and of course pass without trace.
You don't need combat spells, if you get in and out undetected.
And even if you want to go into a fight, chances are that you surprise your enemies and win initiative so close to every combat starts in your favour.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Lesser Restoration is my favorite level-2 spell, not for its combat (or post-combat) uses, but because of the way it would completely change a pre-industrial society where it was reasonably accessible.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I'm still getting used to the greatness of Vortex Warp. Teleporting Friends (or enemies who fail their save) almost anywhere on a battlemap is just full of awesome.

Remove ads