Fighter - > Eldritch Knight + Grappling focused?

Xanthe

First Post
Hey everyone,

Just signed up and looking for some advice on a build that I have always been interested it.

I recently read the grappler's guide also found within these forums but was hoping to find a few more points of advice from people who might be more experienced on the topic than I am. I have an idea of what I'm going to end up going with down the road but I'm unsure of the intricacies of 5th ed. and how they work with grappling in general.

The plan that I have devised it as follows:

1st through 8th level, 8 Fighter, specialized in Eldritch Knight. 9th through 10th level, 8 Fighter / 2 Rogue. 11th through 13th level, Fighter 11 / Rogue 2. 14th through 20th, Fighter 11 / Rogue 2 / Barbarian 7.

My first level will look as such

Human Fighter 1

STR 17 / +3
DEX 15 / +2
CON 16 / +3
INT 11
WIS 14 / +2
CHA 10

13 HP

Longsword, Shortsword, 2x Handaxes, chainmail, explorers pack.

Second Wind, Dueling style

FEAT: Tavern Brawler

As far as I can tell this should be suitable out the gates for what I need. I plan on replacing the Longsword with an improvised weapon such as a table leg or other such blunt or sharp weapon that could stand up to the 1D8 long sword damage (that being said, is there any way to keep improvised weapons up with the same curb that magical weapons ie. +2 Longsword?).

Post level 1, I was hoping to specialize in Eldritch Knight at least until level 8 in order to switch out another level 1 spell with enlarge (preferably utilizing potions of enlarge and other spells from the rest of the party). I would still have access to shield at the very least and would eventually get my hands on Enhance ability and silence as well.

Furthermore, I would be taking a 2 level dip into Rogue for the sole purpose of getting Expertise and Cunning Action.

Following that the investment into Barbarian would more or less be for the Rage powers and other fluff such as Improved initiatives and especially the fast movement.

Essentially I will converting all my stat boosts to feats with my 4th level feat being athletics, 6th level fighter feat mage slayer, 8th level fighter feat, war caster, 12th level feat mobile, 16th level feat crossbow expert.

As far as I know sitting on eldritch knight will let keep on with fighter without having to take an excursion into the Wizard class for the appropriate spells as well as get all the essential spells that I need to carry me on as a grapple master.

Any advice, comments, or thoughts in general would be immensely appreciated!

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, would it be at all possible to (when enough actions permit); Grapple target A, Knock prone while maintaining grapple, restrain through tying the target up, or better yet, binding them with Dimensional Shackles? I know you used to be able to grapple and pin and then tie the target up in older editions, not sure if it still applies in 5th ed. though.

Last edited:

Xanthe

First Post
Regarding the Barbarian in the mix, remember that you can't cast Spells or maintain Concentration while Raging.

Hmmm, with that in mind would it be worth it to even take a branch off into Barbarian in order to rage? I feel like a reasonable work around would be to simply use my Eldritch Knight levels to craft a Wand of Enlarge and precast the spell before the combat begins (or in the worst case scenario, just after it starts).

Ideally, I want to be able to enter into combat with Enlarge, Enhance Ability, and Long Strider up as well as Shield on in the background for the extra AC when needed. Then I would rage and use the 50+ speed to close gaps and start grappling targets ASAP. I have a feeling that Enhance Ability and Enlarge are going to outweigh the bonus I get from 7 levels of Barbarian though (albeit the Bear focus Rage powers are pretty strong all things considered).

Would it be better to just take another Fighter path as opposed to the Eldritch Knight (more melee focused) and then go with the Raging (potentially dropping Fighter post level 2 [action surge] for Barb 2 or Rogue 2) or would Enlarge and Enhance Ability (and access to Shield, longstrider, Chill Touch, potentially Fly) be a better investment. I figure that going Barb would give me the benefits that I want faster and as well, it would give me the ability to power through dispelling magics. That being said Enlarge and Enhance I feel would scale better into the late game :/

Vulf

First Post
Barbarians also don't gain the benefits of Rage while wearing heavy armor.

3 levels of Swashbuckler Rogue would give you sneak attack against an enemy you are grappling off on your own.

Personally I prefer taking Bard for expertise.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Barbarians also don't gain the benefits of Rage while wearing heavy armor.

3 levels of Swashbuckler Rogue would give you sneak attack against an enemy you are grappling off on your own.

Personally I prefer taking Bard for expertise.

Bard is such a good choice for so many things, arguably one of the most useful straight classes....and yet its biggest drawback is that its a Bard. =(

Remove ads