Firefox not displaying embedded links

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I noticed over in the thread about the OneBookShelf hack that embedded links in threads aren't displaying when viewing the site in Firefox. Below is how the thread appears when I look at it in Firefox's browser:

fzjAnwQ.jpeg

Now, here's how it appears when I look at it in Microsoft Edge:

TAXYrhc.jpeg

Firefox had no problem displaying embedded links a few days ago, so I'm not sure why it's refusing to do so now. :unsure:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Some ad-blocker extensions for Firefox block embedded content (at times without user input as the result of an automatic update). You may want to try disabling those and see if it makes a difference.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Some ad-blocker extensions for Firefox block embedded content (at times without user input as the result of an automatic update). You may want to try disabling those and see if it makes a difference.
I suppose that must be the case if other people's Firefox is working. o_O

CapnZapp

Legend
I noticed over in the thread about the OneBookShelf hack that embedded links in threads aren't displaying when viewing the site in Firefox. Below is how the thread appears when I look at it in Firefox's browser:

fzjAnwQ.jpeg

Now, here's how it appears when I look at it in Microsoft Edge:

TAXYrhc.jpeg

Firefox had no problem displaying embedded links a few days ago, so I'm not sure why it's refusing to do so now. :unsure:
Congratulations!

Your browser is successfully blocking social media thingies!

CapnZapp

Legend
Some ad-blocker extensions for Firefox block embedded content (at times without user input as the result of an automatic update).
There sure are a lot of skeezy crap out there, including adblockers that allow companies to pay for being whitelisted. Which essentially is a protection racket worthy of the mob.

Most notably, this applies to AdBlock, which once was a great ad blocker. Do not use this. Instead use uBlock Origin, which exists specifically because the earlier uBlock was purchased by AdBlock, and thus included in this racket.

Don't take my word for it and read about uBlock Origin yourself:

Anyway, malware and viruses are commonly delivered to your computer through attack vectors most people don't suspect, like advertisements and social media "hooks".

These are precisely the things a good adblocker protects against. The "problem" experienced by the OP of this thread is actually a good thing.

In order to surf the web unmolested by all sorts of crap, you need many MANY filter lists, just to keep out the worst. There's badware risks, privacy filters, resource abuse filters (ads using your GPU to mine crypto), the great EasyList to get rid of ads, the EasyPrivacy list to break Big Media's ability to track you across the internet (cookie tracking and targeted advertisement), and disallow sites from misleadingly or even inadvertantly send you onwards to known badware sites. Then (looking at my other Firefox extensions) you need Tampermonkey, a javascript disabler, a way to re-enable copy paste and right-clicks, a site-specific cookie deletor... --- all things I have installed at one time or another, simply to enjoy life without being restricted by stupid, greedy decisions from websites.

You see? The list of threats is almost endless. The good news is, you can avoid nearly all of it.

The bad news, Google runs on ad revenue. If you're on Android, you probably use Chrome, but let me just tell you there are a gazillion ways you can protect yourself if you browse the net on a desktop computer running Firefox as I do, that you simply can't on Android/Chrome.

Since this has turned into something like a rant, let me finish by suggesting y'all go look up dark patterns. Here's just one introduction to something you just have to know about if you ever take your credit card anywhere close to a computer or mobile phone...:

In short, I don't understand how anyone could surf the net using a "vanilla" browser without a good adblocker. This isn't about hurting your favorite sites. This is about basic protection. Not to mention the elephant in the room: ads are distracting! There's no law saying you have to expose your eyeballs to marketing, and indeed you're only taking foolish risks if you do that!

If you want to support a site like EN World, don't surf there without an adblocker, and don't whitelist the site. ENWorld does not handle its own ads, and even Google AdSense is far from innocent when it comes to various annoyances. Not to mention that the Xenforo forum software's social media hooks (discussed here) are likely not very secure. Instead, subscribe. Give your money directly to Morrus, and keep your browser protected at all times.

Remove ads