Good day everyone! Looking for input on an idea using roll check magic system from OSR games with Paladin smites expanded explanation in the comments

Nightbeat84

Explorer
As the title suggested I'm looking at this new Shadow Dark game that is on Kickstarter and immediately back it since it is the system I think it is closely to what I want to try as an OSR game that I want to try in the near future. It uses a roll check for spellcasting and no spell slots I find this concept interesting and want to steal it for my 5e game the only thing I am having hard time figuring out is for paladin smite's since there are no spell slots to uses to fuel the smites.

I though about having a pool of energy that a paladin can use separate that they regain on a long rest and can scale like spell slots. I am reaching out to the community for inspiration and ideas if anyone is interested or would you also just use a roll check for the smites and if they want to use more powerful smites increase the DC for the check perhaps???

I know that some people will tell me not to bother or not to mess with the D&D spell system or just tell the players that they can't be a paladin but I find these game design ideas fun and challenging and what if nothing else homebrew then to try new stuff out.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
Why not have a roll check for Smites? If, in theory, a no-spell slot roll-check system is balanced against current limits, then the same may apply to features powered by spells.
Not saying it is balanced, just that if it is then the logic probably tracks.

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Why not have a roll check for Smites? If, in theory, a no-spell slot roll-check system is balanced against current limits, then the same may apply to features powered by spells.
Not saying it is balanced, just that if it is then the logic probably tracks.
Thank you for your reply I appreciate your input since having ideas rattle around my brain sound good in my head until you say it out loud. I will definitely have to ponder the idea.

JohnSnow

Hero
Just to add to this, in Shadowdark, "Turn Undead" is just a spell for Priests, as is "Smite" (Level 2). Turn Undead is a Priest class feature that doesn't count against their "Spells Known."

There's no reason why a Shadowdark-compatible Paladin couldn't just have Smite ("Smite") and Lay on Hands ("Cure Wounds") as class features. Like the aforementioned "Turn Undead" (for Priests) they're just spells the Paladin just knows, no slots required. Done.

(EDIT: changed references from "cleric" to "Priest" to accurate reflect Shadowdark terminology).

Last edited:

JohnSnow

Hero
Depending on how you wanted the Paladin to develop, they could acquire other spells as talents. Off the top of my head, "Turn Undead" and "Shield of Faith" are both good contenders. On the other hand, a Priest can use longswords, wear armor, and carry shields, so I'm not sure why exactly you need a "Paladin Class."

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Depending on how you wanted the Paladin to develop, they could acquire other spells as talents. Off the top of my head, "Turn Undead" and "Shield of Faith" are both good contenders. On the other hand, a Priest can use longswords, wear armor, and carry shields, so I'm not sure why exactly you need a "Paladin Class."
You might have missed the part in my post that I want to import the spell check aspect of Shadowdark to my 5e game to replace the current spell slot magic system. That is why I asked the question for paladin since they exist in 5e. Not to import a paladin class to Shadowdark.

I haven't gone through the entire quick start guide yet but I also want to have the physical book in my hands the whole things intrigues me.

I will be playing Shadowdark in the near future with my players between campaigns to try new systems out to see if we want to switch. There are a number of games I want to try out. However there is no guarantee that myself and my players will like any of the new systems so I might do what some others have and take parts from other games and frankenstein something.

JohnSnow

Hero
You might have missed the part in my post that I want to import the spell check aspect of Shadowdark to my 5e game to replace the current spell slot magic system. That is why I asked the question for paladin since they exist in 5e. Not to import a paladin class to Shadowdark.
To be honest, I didn’t get that from your post that you were looking to import the casting check mechanic from Shadowdark into 5e to alter how smites work for Paladins.

Go nuts. It should work fine. You can just include the failure backlash/sacrifice mechanic.

Nightbeat84

Explorer
To be honest, I didn’t get that from your post that you were looking to import the casting check mechanic from Shadowdark into 5e to alter how smites work for Paladins.

Go nuts. It should work fine. You can just include the failure backlash/sacrifice mechanic.
All good thank you for your input I did go and read the priest class in the Shadowdark which seems like you could go the Paladin route with it. Myself and a few others in my group do like the paladin archetype which is good that we could go that route

Remove ads