D&D General Gothic horror class

GoblinOrc

First Post
Hey

I was wondering out of all the subclasses which in your opinions fit a gothic horror setting? Any subclass from DnD is welcome

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
If you looked at PF1 with archetypes and hybrid classes you have a host of investigator builds for bard, rogue, and an investigator class, with flavors like vampire hunter among them. For spellcasters you've got Inquisitors which are like martially trained priestly lawmen, oracles which have archetypes for medium, theres's alchemist, the new fangled arcane classes with a Victorian/Gothic flavor Occult classes: kineticist, mesmerist, occultist, psychic, and spiritualist. Vampire Slayer is a base class as well. A witch though a bit older in flavor than true gothic can still be a fit. There's also third party off-shoots of alchemist with Mad Scientist. There are many classes and class archetypes that fit Gothic Horror. I don't think you wanted not-quite-DnD, but PF1 is pretty close to 3.5...

In Caliya's Chronicle of Runes (which is currently in the playtesting phase), there is the Gravekeeper Ranger. These are Rangers who are determined to perpetuate the natural cycle of life and death, gravekeepers protect the dead and hunt those who would dare to abuse and manipulate them: body or spirit. These rangers see the unwilling corruption of the dead as an abhorrent distortion of nature. Seeking the guidance of those who have come before them, they work to ease the suffering of creatures nearing their death—and expeditiously deliver it to their foes.

So I can imagine these Rangers being present in a Gothic Horror setting. ;)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Have you looked at Planeshift Innistrad?

It has Inqusitor Background, and various Cathar trades including Midnight Duelist who patrols the streets at night, on the lookout for thieves, vampires, and corpse traders and Runechanters who engrave protective blessings on material objects ranging from weapons to toys

You'd also go well with the Occult Scholar, Witch Hunter, Paladin Oath of Ancients (Ghost Theme), Bard College of Spirits, College of Whispers, Grave Domain Cleric, Undead Warlok

jgsugden

Legend
It depends upon what aspect of gothic horror you want to embody. Here are 5 options that cover a spectrum:

Undead Warlock 1 / Moon Druid to 19: Combining Form of Dread and Moon Druid shapes can create horrific monsters.

Way of Long Death Monk - This is a nice balance of the tranquility of the monk and the darkness of death.

Any Blood Hunter - but I find the Profane Soul, with their minor in Warlock, provides a good touch of corruption and pushing the darkness.

Echo Knight - You can flavor that duplicate in many ways

Inquisitive Rogue - A Sherlock Holmes fits the genre very well.

Remove ads