Grade the Basic Roleplaying System

How do you feel about the Basic Role-Playing (BRP) System?

• I love it.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • It's pretty good.

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • It's alright I guess.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • It's pretty bad.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never played it.

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • I've never even heard of it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
I wouldn't have minded if they upgraded BRP with some of the many innovations that games based on it have added.
Agreed, and even CoC and Pendragon have done some interesting things with Push mechanics and opposed Personal Traits. The ability of the system to morph itself as needed while keeping a consistent structure is a strong trait.

Last edited:

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
Entirely fair. I was careful to say they're why I don't use it. I know some people don't care about some of these at all.

I get that. I just think that the linear die kind of forces the combination of the ease of use and the die type forces you into a corner on that which can be avoided with other kinds of base dice usage.

I'm actually a moderate fan of characters whether PC or not built to a common metric. I'm just not a fan of random generation.

I just think some things are intrinsically all-or-nothing.

Sure. But its hard to get it right. Hit points, at the end of the day, aren't entirely a good model for handling damage (more true with level elevating, but not untrue with fixed hit points), traditionally RQ in particular handles one end of that well (virtually any attack is a genuine threat) but that's (pun not intended, but there it is) a two edged sword; but flipping it the other way sacrifices some of that threat.

You'll notice I complimented those right out the gate. So this part I don't disagree with at all.
Yep, agreed and I'm actually fine with criticisms as well. I think my main point is that it holds up pretty well even so.

Remove ads