gravity rules, take 3

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Gravity 0.3

High Gravity: The basic increment for high gravity is 10%. Each 10% increment of gravity imposes a temporary high gravity penalty of –1 to Strength, Constitution and Dexterity. If someone's effective ability score reaches 0, they are incapacitated in some way; they cannot get up, they are permanently exhausted, their heart gives out or limbs break, etc. For every increment of high gravity, falling damage increases by +1 point per d6 for each point of high gravity penalty. For example, in 150% of normal gravity, damage is 1d6+5 per 10 feet fallen, to a maximum of 20d6 + 100.

Low Gravity: The basic increment for low gravity is -10%. Each 10% decrease in gravity gives a +1 temporary low gravity bonus to a to Strength, Constitution and Dexterity. In low gravity fields determine the damage normally, then multiply by the low gravity. A creature falling 200 feet in a 40% light gravity field will only take 8d6 (20d6 x 0.4 = 8d6) of damage.

Advanced Gravity 0.3

For those of you who wanted a bit of added realism in your planes, the following optional rules for gravity are included. They more closely model gravity as we would expect to experience, at the expense of added complexity.

Movement

Every 50% increase in gravity halves a creature's base movement rate. The range of missile weapons is also halved. At 100% normal gravity, movement rates and missile ranges are 1/4 standard, and so on. Similarly, each 50% decrease in gravity boosts a creature's base movement rate by 50%. In zero gravity a creature can move at twice its normal speed, provided it has something to push against. The range of missile weapons increases accordingly. Note: at zero gravity an arrow will go virtually forever, but the element of control is such that the effective range is still limited.

Size and Gravity

Depending on their size, creatures are affected differently by high and low gravity.

The high/low gravity modifiers for Small creatures are halved, tiny creatures divide by 4, and diminutive or fine creatures divide the modifier by 6.

Creatures larger than medium size receive the standard bonuses from low gravity, but suffer more from high gravity. Large creatures suffer double penalties to Strength and Constitution due to high gravity, and standard penalties to Dexterity. Huge or larger creatures suffer quadruple penalties to strength, double penalties to Constitution, and standard penalties to Dexterity.
Appropriate protection will reduce a creature's size category by 1 or more. A seated human in a high gravity field is effectively small; laying down would be considered tiny, and in a special crash couch or fully immersed the same human would be considered diminutive. Dragons on high gravity worlds are typically aquatic. They are also usually smaller than standard dragons as well.

Acclimation

The rules for high/low gravity do not take into account a living creature's capacity to acclimate to a high/low gravity environment over a long period of time.

High Gravity: Each month a creature will make a Fortitude save vs DC 10 + high gravity penalty. Failing the save indicates that one point is permanently drained lost from the creature's Strength, Constitution and Dexterity. The save DC decreases by 1 each month. Whether or not the save is successful, the creature will gain a temporary acclimation bonus of +1 to Strength, Constitution and Dexterity. Neither the ability reduction nor the acclimation bonus can exceed the original high gravity penalty. Upon return to normal gravity the acclimation bonus fades at the rate of one point per week. Any permanent ability drain can be reversed by a restoration spell or equally powerful means.

Low or Zero Gravity: Each month a creature loses one point of Strength, Constitution and Dexterity. This loss cannot exceed the low gravity bonus. If a Fortitude save vs DC 10 + low gravity bonus is successful, the loss is a temporary acclimation penalty. Failing the save indicates that the ability scores have actually been permanently drained by 1 point. The save DC decreases by 1 each month. Upon leaving the area of low gravity the temporary acclimation penalty fades at the rate of one point per month. Any permanent loss can be reversed by a restoration spell or equally powerful means.

Last edited:

Telgian

First Post
Greetings,

Should the penalties to ability scores be expressed as Circumstance penalties/bonuses? Perhaps Enhancement?
(perhaps not?)

Damage I believe should be expressed as points of damage dealt, not as hp of damage dealt.

Low Gravity: In the last sentence I think it should read "40% lighter"
(Haven't figured out how to use quotes on this board yet)

That's it for the moment.

Regards,
Telgian.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I have to be more careful with the wording. Damage is definitely in points, not hp.

If one person weighs 40 kg and another weighs 100 kg, you could say the first person weighs only 40% as much as the second person. Or you could say the first person weighs 60% less than the second person.

Does that make sense?

I think I want the bonuses to stack with enhancement bonuses, so they should have a different name. Circumstance bonuses generally stack with everything, so that would work. It might be a good idea for the name of the bonus to serve as a reminder where the bonus came from. Especially since acclimation bonuses and penalties hang around for awhile, but gravity bonuses and penalties change whenever the gravity field does.

Last edited:

thesilentbard

First Post
So in your rules, a creature with 10 Con would die under the effects of 200% gravity? Why not.

And in 0 gravity, a creature would have 10 points Con more, so as to get an additional number of HP equal to 5*their HD/level?
huh? Also, they would inflict 5 damage more per attack?

I think you must restrict to what the penalties applies, as you used to in the older versions.

That's why I suggest to take away the ability penalties/bonuses, and replace them by specific modifiers.

Leviathan

First Post
Cosmonomicon

Sorry! I can't decide about such things as I'm not a member of the Cosmonomicon-crew. I'm only a fan of their work and of the FANcc.

Telgian

First Post
So circumstance bonus/penalties are in?
And in 0 gravity, a creature would have 10 points Con more, so as to get an additional number of HP equal to 5*their HD/level?
huh? Also, they would inflict 5 damage more per attack?
--thesilentbard
I could see this as being a reflection of the difference between a native and non-native in terms of damage potential and how much more difficult it would be for a native to harm the character.
It could be said that this breaks down one you get two characters with the same temp. bonuses together in combat against one another -- but then they both are benifiting from the bonuses.
Food for thought though.
I think you must restrict to what the penalties applies, as you used to in the older versions.

That's why I suggest to take away the ability penalties/bonuses, and replace them by specific modifiers.
--thesilentbard
Not sure I agree. Thoughts Cheiromancer?

Regards,
Telgian.

Remove ads