Greater Spell Immunity: Antimagic Field

Thanee

First Post
moritheil said:
That's another thing I wanted to ask about: Do you consider the GSI rendering unbeatable SR first, or the AMF rendering GSI inoperative first?

I think both work continuously.

In the first 'loop', GSI would protect, but afterwards it is suppressed, so in the second 'loop', the summoned creature would wink out. This would happen so fast, that it is basically instantaneous. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Goolpsy

First Post
GSI doesn't protect itself.. only its owner..

and even if GSI should work (somehow) you sitll can't cast spells within an AMF (unless they are epic)

moritheil

First Post
Goolpsy said:
GSI doesn't protect itself.. only its owner..

and even if GSI should work (somehow) you sitll can't cast spells within an AMF (unless they are epic)

Uh, there are ways to do it so that you can. I think what you mean to say is that GSI doesn't let you cast spells within an AMF.

For example, if I have the ability to shape the AMF (a la archmage), I can leave a hole where one ally is standing. Since AMF talks about spells "cast into" it, and effects that occur within it, someone could conceivably stand in the hole and cast through the field at something outside the AMF while not needing to worry too much about magical return fire. The weakness of this is that if you can fire through it outwards, you can fire through inwards, but you can at least cluster your group without needing to worry about area spells, which won't spread through the intervening AMF-filled area. Again, not every DM will like this, so I mentioned that it depends on interpretation.

I'm asking about GSI and other things because I'm trying to find different pre-epic ways to get allies to stand within an AMF and cast.

Thanee

First Post
moritheil said:
Since AMF talks about spells "cast into" it, and effects that occur within it, someone could conceivably stand in the hole and cast through the field at something outside the AMF while not needing to worry too much about magical return fire.

AMF blocks line of effect, there are no spells cast through an area of antimagic.

The space within this barrier is impervious to most magical effects.

It's not a Globe spell. The spells that get cast into the area (or meant to be cast through, which also means they are cast into the area) are suppressed and that's it... they don't travel through the field.

Bye
Thanee

moritheil

First Post
Thanee said:
AMF blocks line of effect, there are no spells cast through an area of antimagic.

It's not a Globe spell. The spells that get cast into the area (or meant to be cast through, which also means they are cast into the area) are suppressed and that's it... they don't travel through the field.

Bye
Thanee

Well, if it unambiguously blocks line of effect, then that can't be helped, except by leaving an entire open path out. That would still achieve the effect of allowing the group to cluster without all being hit by area spells, though.

I'm curious - was there an earlier wording of AMF that did not explicitly state that it blocked line of effect? I know I had a discussion about this previously, and quite a few people told me it was possible to cast from one side of an AMF to the other side.

Thanee

First Post
Well, it doesn't speak of "line of effect", but the above-quoted part should be pretty much the same. I can't really say, that it is 100% unambiguous.

If you leave a whole path out of the field, then many area effects would also affect you via that very same path.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads