• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-giant and Goliath's Powerfuld build

Creeping Death

First Post
The powerful build trait allows the half-giant to be considered large for purposes of getting feats that require one to be large, or when resolving bull rush, overrun and other things when it is advantageous to be considered large. They can even weild large weapons one handed without penalty.

My question is, would they be considered large on the strength table?

For example, a human with 15 strength can carry x pounds of equ and be lightly encumbered, y pounds and be medium encumbered, and z pounds and be heavily encumbered. Since a goliath of half-giant can be considered large, would a half-giant with a 15 strength just double x, y, and z?

Thanks,

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
First of all, I think you mistaken assuming that powerful build allows them to qualify for feats as though they were Large. I'm pretty sure it does not. (There's nothing about feats in the powerful build description.)

Similarly there is nothing about increased carrying capacity in the description, and I feel that if it does not address a specific issue, then for that issue it is considered Medium. So, no increased carrying capacity.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
MatthewJHanson said:
First of all, I think you mistaken assuming that powerful build allows them to qualify for feats as though they were Large. I'm pretty sure it does not. (There's nothing about feats in the powerful build description.)

It's muddied by some of the feats in Races of Stone.

For example, the prerequisites line for the Fling Ally feat includes:
Size Large or larger (goliaths qualify by virtue of their powerful build racial trait).

Now, my reading of this is that a Goliath qualifies for Fling Ally, but not for, say, Awesome Blow... the latter requires size Large, and doesn't have the special qualifier.

Others could certainly argue that Awesome Blow was written before the concept of Powerful Build was introduced, and that Fling Ally demonstrates how the racial trait interacts with feat prerequisites.

My response is that, as you note, the Powerful Build description doesn't mention qualifying for feats, and that Fling Ally is therefore a special case... but I can see it being debated.

-Hyp.

Corsair

First Post
I think there was a sage response or something similar which said Powerful Build allowed you to qualify for feats, but Smurfy is correct in that the ability says nothing about it being in the description. The same is true for carrying capacity.

Creeping Death

First Post
Thanks I think it does answer my questions, I could have sworn that I read it allows you to qualify for feat that require you to be Large or larger. But oh well, I don't have the expanded psionics book in front of me and the d20 srd online doesn't mention that.

dcollins

Explorer
Just realized that this is dealt with in the D&D FAQ v3.5, p. 2:

Does the powerful build racial trait allow a character to
take advantage of feats for size Large or larger creatures,
such as Awesome Blow? Would a half-dragon goliath
qualify as Large for determining whether it has wings?

No and no. The powerful build racial trait (found in the
goliath entry in Races of Stone and the half-giant entry in
Expanded Psionics Handbook) spells out exactly when the
character is treated as one size larger than normal:

1) Whenever subjected to a size modifier or special size
modifier for an opposed check. This includes grapple checks,
bull rush attempts, and trip attempts.
2) When determining whether a creature’s special attacks
based on size can affect him. This includes improved grab and
swallow whole.
3) When determining what size of weapons the character
can use.

That’s it. The character isn’t treated as one size larger when
determining space, reach, Hide check penalty, or for the
purpose of qualifying for anything that requires size.

Some feats, prestige classes, or other game elements may
specifically allow a Medium character with powerful build to
qualify as if he were Large. Such examples are specific and
intentional exceptions to the normal rule.

Remove ads