• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

help! Critical Hit Chart needs testing!

TheLe

First Post
I need some play testing on my Critical Hit Chart. I need to know what works and what does not. I need to know what you like and what you do not. I also need to know if you are commenting as a PC or a GM. I have attached 1d20 and 1d100 (Alpha20 & Alpha100) versions of the chart. I would like to know if which of the two you prefer to use and why. More importantly, I need to know if these charts work in real games. These charts are for midevil fantasy style games.

Anyone mine testing this in your next games?

----------------------------------------------------------
1d100 Critical Hit Chart (ALPHA100)
01-50 -WDCD (Weapon Default Critical Damage)
51-60 -WDCD + Weapon Max Damage
61-70 -WDCD + Knockback (1 free attack)
71-75 -WDCD + Bleeding 1d4 damage per round
76-80 -WDCD + Bleeding 2d4 damage per round
86-90 -WDCD + Blind 1 round
91 -WDCD + Blind 1d4 round
92 -WDCD + Blind (until end of combat)
93 -WDCD + Stunned/Paralyzed 1 round
94 -WDCD + Stunned/Paralyzed 1d4 round
95 -WDCD + enemy Drops Weapon OR Shield
96 -WDCD + enemy weapon OR shield Shatters
97 -WDCD + Instant kill (enemy gets +5 Fortitude Save)
98 -WDCD + Instant kill (enemy gets +2 Fortitude Save)
99 -WDCD + Instant kill (enemy gets Fortitude Save)
100 -Instant Kill (no save)

1d20 Critical Hit chart (ALPHA20)
1 -Weapon Max Damage
2 -Weapon Max Damage
3 -WDCD (Weapon Default Critical Damage)
4 -WDCD (Weapon Default Critical Damage)
5 -WDCD (Weapon Default Critical Damage)
6 -WDCD (Weapon Default Critical Damage)
7 -WDCD (Weapon Default Critical Damage)
8 -WDCD + Weapon Max Damage
9 -WDCD + Weapon Max Damage
10 -WDCD + KnockBack (1 free attack)
11 -WDCD + KnockBack (1 free attack)
12 -WDCD + Bleeding, 1d4 damage per round
13 -WDCD + Blind 1 round
14 -WDCD + Blind 1d4 rounds
15 -WDCD + Stunned/Paralyzed 1 round
16 -WDCD + Stunned/Paralyzed 1d4 round
17 -WDCD + enemy Drops Weapon OR shield
18 -WDCD + enemy weapon OR shield shatters
19 -WDCD + Instant kill (enemy gets +5 Fortitude Save)
20 -WDCD + Instant Kill (enemy gets a Fortitude Save)

Critical Descriptions
-Knockback. The attack has caused the enemy to be knocked backed a step, leaving it open for one immediate free attack by the same player. Being off guard, the enemy loses positive Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) during this free attack. (option: If knockback was caused by a ranged attack, allow this free attack to be taken only by the closest melee player not currently in combat with another creature)

-Bleeding. Your attack has hit a critical area on the enemy, causing excessive bleeding (externally or internally). This bleeding may be the enemy's blood, magical energy, other components. As such, bleeding causes damage at the end of each round. If the bleeding is external (often caused by slashing weapons), the enemy may spend one round to patch and stop the bleeding. A healing potion/spell/etc of any kind will immediately stop any bleeding.

-Blind. Your attack has hit the eyes/antenna/sight of the enemy and thus everything has full concealment to it. Blind victims have a 50% chance to miss in combat, loses positive Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), and grants a +2 bonus on attack rolls to foes that attack it, just as if all it's foes were invisible. It moves at half speed and suffers a -4 penalty on most Strength and Dexterity-based skills. It cannot make Spot skill checks or perform any other activity (such as reading) that requires vision.

-Stunned/Paralyzed. Your attack was so powerful and well placed that the enemy is momentarily stunned and cannot take any action. It loses it's Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) and can take no actions. Foes gain a +2 bonus to hit stunned characters.

-Weapon/Shield Drop. Your attack has caused the enemy to drop it's weapon or shield. To retrieve it, the enemy must spend 1 round to pick it up off of the ground. Enemies with attached or no weapons/shields are uneffected, and simply take the Weapon Default Critical Damage.

-Weapon/Shield Shatter. Your attack was very powerful and has hit a weak spot of the enemy's weapon or shield, causing it to shatter and become useless. For enemies with attached weapons, this may cause a limb to get severed (for example, a claw to get severed or may shatter). Enemies with no weapons/shields are uneffected, and simply take the Weapon Default Critical Damage.

-Instant Kill. Your attack has hit a vital spot of the enemy, forcing it to take a Fortitude save or die. Whether the save succeeds or not, the enemy still takes the Weapon Default Critical Damage.

Alternate changes
-Apply a -1 to chart rolls if the player did not roll a natural "20" for a critical threat. This reduces their chance of getting an instant kill roll (and gives them no chance for a no-save instant kill on the Alpha100 chart). Apply a -2 if you want to really screw em.

-Apply a +5 fortitude save for all instant kill chart listings. This makes instant kills far more difficult, and eliminates the no-save kill altogether.

-Change the dice of the Bleeding damage from d4 to d8 (or any die you want). You may wish to do this for higher level characters.

-For a less powerful chart, change the "WDCD +" to simply "Normal Weapon Damage +"

Critical Reasoning
The problem with most critical hit charts is that they either work only with humanoid creatures (ie "55=hit the arm"), or they are just too big and complex.

The Alpha Charts above help solve both problems. The Alpha100 chart has 16 possible "different" outcomes, while the Alpha20 has 13. Nice and simple.

The possible outcomes are also easily used with any type of creature. Blind/Knockback/bleeding/etc are concepts that can be applied to any humanoid or non-humanoid creature (Dragons, Undead, Squids, Harry Krishnas, etc).

The probability is also stacked towards simple extra damage. The Alpha100 chart allows a 60% chance of only doing extra damage, while the alpha20 chart allows a 45% chance. In any given campaign, combat can easily generate several critical threat/hits, especially with the improved critical feat. This type of chart insures that when a player gets a critical, the chance of doing only extra damage is high.

I wanted something, simple, intuitive, and most importantly: FUN.

(Note, these charts assume you are using the "Critical Threat" method of determining critical hits)

Thanks.
~Le
junk_of_the@hotmail.com

the Jester

Legend
I dunno, you may find it hard to get people to risk their hard-earned characters testing a chart that might instantly kill them...

TheLe

First Post
Remember, it is for TESTING

the Jester said:
I dunno, you may find it hard to get people to risk their hard-earned characters testing a chart that might instantly kill them...
-----------------------

The probability is pretty low for that to happen, especially on the Alpha100 chart.

Besides, it just need testing. If it bothers people that much, just reroll if the instant kill comes up.

~Le

Uller

Adventurer
I doubt I'll be able to convince my group to play test. We keep house rules to a very minimum. Only when necessary is our motto.

However, I have a couple of suggestions...

1) Change the words "Stunned/Paralyzed" to just "Stunned". Paralyzed infers a state of helplessness and that infers oppurtunities of CdG.

2) Keep in mind that it is far more likely for one of these to occur to one of the PCs than to one of the monsters/NPCs since PCs are in combat more than most NPCs.

3) With 2) in mind, I would try to make the results on the crit chart more "fun" things or opportunity for the target to reduce the damage. Combat is quick enough. Increasing the damage of crits will only make it quicker.

4) The "Shatter" ones should be changed to cause damage to the weapon or shield to be shattered.

Edit: 5) the enemy drops item should be a free disarm attempt instead.

Last edited:

TheLe

First Post
groovy

Uller said:
I doubt I'll be able to convince my group to play test. We keep house rules to a very minimum. Only when necessary is our motto.

1) Change the words "Stunned/Paralyzed" to just "Stunned". Paralyzed infers a state of helplessness and that infers oppurtunities of CdG.
2) Keep in mind that it is far more likely for one of these to occur to one of the PCs than to one of the monsters/NPCs since PCs are in combat more than most NPCs.
3) With 2) in mind, I would try to make the results on the crit chart more "fun" things or opportunity for the target to reduce the damage. Combat is quick enough. Increasing the damage of crits will only make it quicker.
4) The "Shatter" ones should be changed to cause damage to the weapon or shield to be shattered.
Edit: 5) the enemy drops item should be a free disarm attempt instead.

Great ideas.

I will change it to just "Stunned". I wasn't sure which word worked best, and the SRD descriptions were a bit off.

I also need to change the shatter roll. I don't think people want their hard earned magical weapon to get shattered. I will work soemthing out for that and the weapon drop roll.

If anyone else here in on these boards has the time and is willing to take a chance on playtesting my charts, I would appreciate any feedback.

~Le

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads