Help Me Decide On What Adventure To Run (Call of Cthulhu)

Which Call of Cthulhu Campaign should I run?

• Beyond the Mountains of Madness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Masks of Nyarlathotep

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Yellow Sign

Explorer
After a long long hiatus, I have decided to try my hand on running a Call of Cthulhu game here on EnWorld.

But I am having a hard time deciding on what to run. So help me out. Here are the three campaigns that I am interested in.

Beyond the Mountains of Madness (A epic expedition to Antarctica but what will you find there)
Masks of Nyarlathotep (A Globe spanning race to stop the plans of a Dark God)
Tatters of the King (The influence of Haster grows in a trouble world. Can you keep hold of your sanity?)

Cool. I looked at all three on the Chaosium website. Pros: Hello, Cthulu! Also, Masks of Nyarlathotep and Tatters of the King have a vibrant pulp feel to them. Con: They're massively long, probably too long for PbP.

Beyond the Mountains of Madness is the least appealing to me because it weighs in at 400+ pages and appears to be limited to a cold-weather climate. I would not care to be stuck in one highly specialized environment for a long period of time. Doing so limits character creation in ways that are unappealing (to me).

Masks of Nyarlathotep (248 pp) looks great. I like that it starts out in NYC, the moves to different locales (one of which is Egypt!). I like that it's pulpy. I like that it bills itself as a Cthulu classic; I'm interested in tropes. It would probably be easy to create a character for this module as there are lots of varied and interesting elements to draw upon.

Tatters of the King (236 pp) looks great, too. I love that it contains art-related investigation; I adore anything having to do with art. It might be trickier to draft a character for this module, but I like that I could really gun for magical realism and could probably have a ball playing a curator, doctor, or journalist in this setting. I like that it's set in London. And, just like Masks of Nyarlathotep, I like that it appears to have a pulp feel to it. I particularly like that it purports to mix politics, government, and finance with art. Sounds like a win to me.

I voted for Tatters. But really I think either Tatters or Masks would be great. Not that I'm going to submit a character...just had a few minutes and wanted to chime in.

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Masks indeed has a pulp feel to it. It is considered the granddad of Call of Cthulhu campaigns.

Tatters is more of a psychological horror mystery. More in line with a classic Call of Cthulhu type game.

All three are great in their own ways.

Remove ads