Help me price some magic items

Rkhet

First Post
1. A MW Halberd, with a hollow section in the middle, where you can insert the scroll of a single spell (any non-epic level, any list). The user points the halberd at a target and speaks a command word, and the spell activates, using up the scroll.

1a. What if it's a +1 Shocking halberd?

1b. What if this function is single-use only?

1c. What if it's a free action to activate?

2. A ring. Once put on, can only be removed by Remove Curse or similiar magic, or by removing the finger. If removed by any means, the magic is permanently destroyed and it becomes just an iron ring. Linked to a large spell-effect covering an entire palace: if any sentient (Int 3+) creature enters the palace without this ring, the alarm sounds and alerts the entire palace.

Pinotage

Explorer
Rkhet said:
1. A MW Halberd, with a hollow section in the middle, where you can insert the scroll of a single spell (any non-epic level, any list). The user points the halberd at a target and speaks a command word, and the spell activates, using up the scroll.

1a. What if it's a +1 Shocking halberd?

1b. What if this function is single-use only?

1c. What if it's a free action to activate?

2. A ring. Once put on, can only be removed by Remove Curse or similiar magic, or by removing the finger. If removed by any means, the magic is permanently destroyed and it becomes just an iron ring. Linked to a large spell-effect covering an entire palace: if any sentient (Int 3+) creature enters the palace without this ring, the alarm sounds and alerts the entire palace.

Haven't thought about the ring, but you might want to look at the Caster's Shield and the Spellstoring weapon property to give you an idea of what the pricing should be.

Pinotage

Khaalis

Adventurer
The problem is that what you want, really doesn’t exist so its all ball-park guestimating.

Halberd = 10gp
Masterwork = +300gp
+1 Shock = +2 enhancement = +8,000gp
Base Weapon = 8,310gp

Spell Function Options:
1) Spell Storing = +1 enhancement
Issue with this is that it stores spells, not a spell completion item and is only up to 3rd level spells.

2) Caster’s Shield = Allows you to scribe a scroll on it for ½ gp cost. So this really doesn’t relate.

3) Casting Glove (DMG2) = 25,000gp
This acts as Glove of Storing but allows activation of stored spell trigger magic items such as wands and staves. As a standard action from within the glove. This is the closest thing to what you are looking for but wands are only up to 4th level, though staves are higher but they are limited to specific configurations.

With this we could likely change the concept of the Casting Glove to a Spell Completion item, but by default this has to remain a standard action, and is already a single use – it’s a scroll. With that said, the basic ballpark I would give this item (as a standard action item) would be 33,310gp (scrolls sold separately).

As for the ring, I would think this would be linked to the alarm spell for lack of any other choice. The item is then cursed.
If we use that theory then we are making: Continuous function ring = Spell level (1) x Caster Level (1) x 2,000gp x Duration in Hours (1) = 2,000gp + the Curse (no value change).

JMHO.YMMV.

Rkhet

First Post
Khaalis said:
[...] and is already a single use – it’s a scroll.

What I mean is, the scroll-firing function of the halberd is single-use. After you use it once, even if you put in another scroll it wouldn't work, though it remains a MW halberd. What would the cost difference be between this and if the halberd is reusable by replacing the scroll?

Rkhet

First Post
About the halberd: I'm thinking of outfitting a large number of guards with this, so it needs to stay affordable to be realistic. What can I do to reduce the cost to, say, 5000gp? Reduce the maximum spell level of the scroll?

Here's another one from the drawing board:

A gorgeous signet ring, which by worksmanship and gems alone is worth 50,000gp. Acts as an Alarm ring, and can deactivate Alarm rings (making them removeable without breaking the magic) at will. Can only be used by people of the royal bloodline. Constricts and cuts off a finger when worn by anyone else. Shatters and deals 10d6 damage to anyone attempting to use UMD on it and fails. A hefty penalty on the UMD check of anyone attempting to use it (since it's an Epic game, I'm thinking -30.)

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
Rkhet said:
About the halberd: I'm thinking of outfitting a large number of guards with this, so it needs to stay affordable to be realistic. What can I do to reduce the cost to, say, 5000gp? Reduce the maximum spell level of the scroll?

Ok, the closest thing we have to go on for comparison is:

Caster’s Shield: This +1 light wooden shield has a small leather strip on the back on which a spellcaster can scribe a single spell as on a scroll. A spell so scribed has only half the base raw material cost. Experience point and component costs remain the same. The strip cannot accommodate spells of higher than 3rd level. The strip is reusable.

A random caster ’s shield has a 50% chance of having a single medium scroll spell on it. The spell is divine (01–80 on d%) or arcane (81–100).

A caster’s shield has a 5% arcane spell failure chance.

Moderate abjuration; CL 6th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Scribe Scroll, creator must be at least 6th level; Price 3,153 gp (plus the value of the scroll spell if one is currently scribed); Cost 1,653 gp + 120 XP.

If we break down the cost we have a +1 Light Wood Shield = 1,153gp
Thus they have assigned a cost of 2,000gp for the ability to Scribe up to a 3rd level spell on the item as if it were a scroll, and at a -50% gold cost to the scroll cost.

For the weapon version, we would go with the core weapon + this enchantment.
Halberd = 10gp
Masterwork = +300gp
+1 Shock = +2 enhancement = +8,000gp
Base Weapon = 8,310gp
+Scroll Ability = +2,000gp = 10,310gp

However, you want to cut costs. So first thing is drop Shock, dropping the total cost to 4,310gp.

However, you want the ability to store any Scroll, not just limited to 3rd level. To do this I would increase the cost of the core enchantment by x2 for 6th level spells, then again x3 for 9th level spells - thus 12,000gp to store a 9th level spell. This brings the weapon back up to 14,310gp.

To lower this again, we could assume that the original enchantment used the wonderous equation of "Spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp" and used a 1st level spell equivalent. If you wanted this ability to function once, and only once, you could instead use the wonderous equation for single use items, making it "Spell level x caster level x 25 gp".

This would then alter the price as follows:
Halberd = 10gp
Masterwork = +300gp
+1 enhancement = +2,000gp
Base Weapon = 2,310gp
+Scroll Ability (single use) = +25gp = 2,335gp
+Scroll Ability to 6th level spell (single use) = +50gp = 2,385gp
+Scroll Ability to 9th level spell (single use) = +150gp = 2,535gp

This would give you a +1 Halberd that can store 1 spell of any level as a scroll (at 50%gp scroll cost), but cannot be re-imbued with another scroll once used. Once the spell-completion item has been used, the item remains a +1 Halberd.

On a side note, I personally think is the wrong type of weapon to build as this is a spell-completion item, and it sounds as if this is intended for a bunch of low level guards, which will not work.

Spell Completion: This is the activation method for scrolls. A scroll is a spell that is mostly finished. The preparation is done for the caster, so no preparation time is needed beforehand as with normal spellcasting. All that’s left to do is perform the finishing parts of the spellcasting (the final gestures, words, and so on). To use a spell completion item safely, a character must be of high enough level in the right class to cast the spell already. If he can’t already cast the spell, there’s a chance he’ll make a mistake. Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does.

{emphasis mine}

The "mistake chance" isnt SRD, so I dont have it handy, but if I remember correctly, it is quite steep.

The best thing for low level guards would be a Halberd of Spellstoring, but you are back up to a minimum of 8,310gp.

Here's another one from the drawing board:
A gorgeous signet ring, which by worksmanship and gems alone is worth 50,000gp. Acts as an Alarm ring, and can deactivate Alarm rings (making them removeable without breaking the magic) at will. Can only be used by people of the royal bloodline. Constricts and cuts off a finger when worn by anyone else. Shatters and deals 10d6 damage to anyone attempting to use UMD on it and fails. A hefty penalty on the UMD check of anyone attempting to use it (since it's an Epic game, I'm thinking -30.)

This sounds like a minor Artifact.
At the easiest core it is base 50,000gp +
Command Word = Remove Curse (4) x CL 7 x 1,800 gp = +50,400gp
Continuous = Alarm (1) x CL 1 x 2,000 gp = +2,000gp*1.5 (multiple use) = +3,000gp
Use Activated = Shrink Item (3) x CL 5 x 1,000 (limited use) = +15,000gp*1.5 (multiple use) = +22,500gp
Use Activated = 10d6 damage (3) x CL 5 x 1,000 (limited use) = +15,000gp*1.5 (multiple use) = +22,500gp
UMD Penalty = Bonus squared (900) x 100 gp = +90,000gp

So just as a rough ballpark off the top of my head on these, we're looking at approximately 238,400gp.

JMHO.YMMV.

Rkhet

First Post
Hm. Wouldn't do to have low-level guards running around with 9th-level scrolls in their weapons anyway - they'd get hunted for them. How much for a +1 Halberd that can store any level 3 spell, once, and allows anyone to use it - a Command Word item instead of Spell Completion? What about a 6th-level version for the elites?

Pyrex

First Post
Ignoring the single-use component for a moment, is the fact that there's an actual scroll embedded in the Halberd really that important?

If not; consider the following approach:

Enchant the halberd as normal. Then a caster with both Craft Arms and Craft Wonderous feats imbues a single-use use-activated spell in it as a secondary effect.

Base Weapon: 2310gp (+1 Halberd)

Then, pick a spell to imbue. For example we'll imbue a Greater Dispel (Caster Level 15) with an activation criteria of smacking someone with the blunt end of the halberd

Cost = 6 x 15 x 100* = 9000gp

Total Cost: 9000gp + (2000 * 1.5**) + 310 = 12310gp.

*In dragon a while back they had an article about imbuing spells into weapons with the guideline that spells 3rd and below should be x50gp and 4th & above at x100gp.

**At this point the +1 is actually the secondary ability and has its cost increased 50%.

Remove ads