• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help me to optimize a party.

Georlik

First Post
I'm currently DMing a module with accelerated experience progression in a homebrew world.
Premise is as follows - characters have fallen under a spell of a necromancer that causes them to age rapidly. As a side-effect they accumulate experience at a growing rate (and are expected to reach 20th level over the course of adventure or die).
My players have reached 2nd level and are currently rolling with the following party composition:

Variant Human Monk with Athlete feat and Folk Hero background.
Hill Dwarf Cleric (of Knowledge) with an Acolyte background.
Half-Elf Bard with an Urchin background.
Standard Human Ranger with Forest Terrain and Outlander background.
Hal-Elf (Wild) Sorcerer with Entertainer background.

But after 2 long sessions (with 6 Easy-to-Hard encounters, 2 short rests and 1 long rest per session) they’ve shown concern that they are lacking a proper tank, as none of them feels sturdy enough to brave out the attacks (despite that they breezed through the encounters with only 2 character falling to 0 hp due to rash decisions).
Whilst an option to reroll their characters has been presented to them, I am eager to search for other solutions in order to to allay their fears.

I strive to preserve an old-school feel (as the world was created under 2nd edition rules) but other than that try to be lenient. Warlocks and Tieflings are banned for story reasons, and multiclassing might be difficult (as you need to find a teacher in order to receive the proper training, which proves to be quite a challenge as this story is about a race against death).

So now I’m asking for tips:
1) How can I tweak my playstyle as a DM in order to adapt to the current party composition?
2) What can they do tactically and strategically in order to overcome their lack of a “meat shield”?
3) Any suggestions on how to optimize their party composition via reroll?

mellored

Legend
At level 2, everyone is squishy.

But yes, you have a rather high damage, low defense party.

1: Avoid ambushing and forcing fights. Let them talk with most monsters first, and let them flee. Add lots of terrain features to utilize. Let monster's be fooled and distracted easily. Give XP for completing the mission, not killing creatures.

2: Don't rush in. You have 2 Dex people, a cleric that can gather intel, and 2 Cha people. Sneak, research, and persuade their way into having an advantage, or even bypassing an encounter altogether.

i.e. Monk scouts and sees kobolds. Cleric knows those kobolds worship a green dragons, sorcerer makes a minor illusion of a jade dragon statue and bard convinces the kobolds that you are taking it to a new green dragon that took up residence a few miles from here. Kobolds leave to find the dragon, you loot the cave.

Also make sure the monk has a sling. Enemies can't kill you if they can't catch you. Hit and run.

3: Nothing wrong with the party. Just don't try and tank.

Kithas

First Post
The first thing that comes to mind is that some classes even how you are playing wouldn't/shouldn't require a 'teacher' Sorcerer, warlock and even barbarian come to mind as they are more organic classes that come from who a character is not what he/she knows.

As far as your party goes, there's no game-breaking problem with not having a tank, it does mean that they will have to be much more tactics minded in fights and choosing what fights they pick.
If your players decide they do want a tank, monks, sorcerers even bards and clerics can all be played as tanks. You need 3 things to tank, HP, AC, and stickiness(basically a reason for the baddies to target you and not ignore you). Every class can have these things, largely it requires a heavy con investment, better armor/dex, and prioritizing spells that defend you (blur, shield, absorb elements, etc.)

Mello hit some very good points with advice for dming a group without a tank. I would echo what he said, give them options and ways to highlight their strengths. They won't be good at holding a hallway but they would be great as a flanking force in an army.

One last thing, remember that the game is meant to be fun. If your common practices/how you usually play isn't achieving this they need to be rethought. I'm not saying now is that time. What I am saying is that I have seen games ruined because the dm wanted an 'old-school' feel and the players didn't find that fun. Again, not saying this is the case I just felt it should be mentioned.

ccs

41st lv DM
$.
$ is the answer to their concern about not having a proper tank.

They need to spend some loot & hire a merc fighter.

mellored

Legend
Really old school reward you for gold, not kills. So direct fights where something to be avoided.

Last edited:

Georlik

First Post
Thank you all for the input. It really helps me out!

1: <snip> Give XP for completing the mission, not killing creatures.
Really old school reward you for gold, not kills. So direct fights where something to be avoided.
Actually I'm using milstones system but still a great advice.
I'll try to incorporate more reconnaissance missions into the game.

The first thing that comes to mind is that some classes even how you are playing wouldn't/shouldn't require a 'teacher'.
Exactly my thought, thats why it is "difficult" not impossible.

They won't be good at holding a hallway but they would be great as a flanking force in an army.
Great idea for a higher-level challenge.

One last thing, remember that the game is meant to be fun. If your common practices/how you usually play isn't achieving this they need to be rethought. I'm not saying now is that time. What I am saying is that I have seen games ruined because the dm wanted an 'old-school' feel and the players didn't find that fun. Again, not saying this is the case I just felt it should be mentioned.
Thanks for pointing that out. I have my concerns regarding the mindset with which I'm running the game, as I'm used to DMing more robust groups, hence this topic.

$.
$ is the answer to their concern about not having a proper tank.
They need to spend some loot & hire a merc fighter.
That's an excellent idea! You can't get more old-school than that (well, you can, but I try to avoid Gygaxian dungeons). I'll present them with such option.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Your party is essentially a group of scientists and their woodsy outdoors-man guide.

One solution is "the best defense is a good offense".
* Stealth will be their friend. Enemies who can't see their assailants can't defend against them.
* The ability to control the enemies and the battlefield will benefit this group far more than straight up hit-til-dead.

Specific ideas...
* Bard should go Valorbard. Having a Med Armor + shield wearing fellow will help.
* Assuming the monk is Dex-focused, he should go with the standard path with the Stunning Fist manoeuvre. If he's a Str monk, he needs to be shown the Grappling guiide on this forum.
* Ranger may want to spec two-weapon but also carry a bow.
* Nothing stopping that Cleric from strapping on some decent armor/shield either (I don't think).
* not much to say about the Wild sorcerer... sorry about your luck. :3

Some random thoughts... YMMV.

Remove ads