D&D 5E Help with Vergil/Sephiroth build

AlandisN

First Post
Hi,

I'm currently trying to design a sword user (one handed or two handed, not TWF) with INSANE DPR from levels 7-15 that emphasizes agility over heavy armor. Magical combat abilities such as misty step and haste are preferred but not required.

I keep reading that Bladesingers are cool on paper (and ideally the style of melee in looking for) but flawed in that they're better off throwing fireballs as pure wizards, especially at later levels, and are just too squishy despite high AC.

I also read that Eldritch Knights are primarily defensive tanks, which isn't the role I'd like to play.

I'm considering Kensei, but don't know if maximum dpr would involve multiclassing.

If you've seen Vergil or Sephiroth in action, how would you build them to maximize dpr output?

-Alandis

AlandisN

First Post
Maximize DPR output at the cost of reducing what?

What are you willing to trade off to get it?
Good question. Utility of any kind outside of combat. Longevity, as we only do 2-4 battle encounters per session. Some tankiness, as I don't plan to be the main tank but would like to not die in a single turn.

AlandisN

First Post
I'm thinking an offensive eldritch knight, a Bladesinger, a kensei, a paladin, and a samurai are all finalists but am completely in the dark as to how their dprs compare as a fairly new dnd player.

From a role play perspective, calm and collected is a must.

FabulousChester

First Post
The general idea I had for a Vergil build was this:
• Aasimar (Protector) Hexblade 3/Bladesinger(Tasha's)11/Echo Knight 3

A bit of context real quick, before I go into more depth: A) My table general rolls well for stats. B) We have third party content that expands on melee weapon cantrips, so I didn't need to solely rely on green-flame blade or booming blade.

Now, about the build and why:
• Why Aasimar? Simply put, the third level abilities of the subraces. To me, they screams DEVIL TRIGGER. I went with Protector, but Fallen fits Vergil more in theme. Bear in mind, post-Tasha's you can put a race's ability score boosts wherever you want.
• Why Hexblade? Damage from Hexblade's curse. Charisma to weapon attack and damage, which becomes even better after Pact of the Blade. This also gets you Eldritch Blast, which can be described as Vergil's mirage blades. Pact of the Blade lets you summon a variety of weapons, which can be your Yamatos, Beowulfs, or Force Edges. Be sure to take a weapon cantrip, too. Agonizing blast makes the summon swords hurt like hell. I would take Improved Pact Weapon for the +1, but you can always grab Armor of Shadows if you want to rock the longcoat and no armor look.
• Why Bladesinger? Bladesong and the Extra Attack from Tasha's that lets you cast a cantrip in place of an attack. Now, we can pepper our foes with summon swords as we close in and slash them up with booming blades and green-flame blades once we're in melee. Steel Wind Strike is also on the Wizard's spell list, which is essentially Judgement Cut End. Finally, Tenser's Transformation serves as a Sin Devil Trigger, and when combined with the Aasimar's racial, we can really put the hurt on. Plus, we get all the Wizard goodies.
• Why Echo Knight? This lets you get Vergil's doppleganger, along with action surge and a fighting style. With this, Tenser's Transformation, and Unleash Incarnation, you can get one hell of a nova.

My stat priorities were: Cha >Con/Int> Dex > Wis > Str. I did take a forth level of fighter and grabbed GWM, and eviscerated a boss with the above Tenser's Transformation +Radiant Soul +Unleash Incarnation +Action Surge. Also, using Action Surge to cast two Steel Wind Strikes is truly something special.

Go forth, and be the storm that is approching.

Remove ads