Pathfinder 2E Hero Points

CapnZapp

Legend
Capn's Ideas. By having only 1-2 per adventure path you are really limiting their use. I couldn't see many people spending them for a single action in combat.
One for each of the six books of an AP. That's seven in total, over twenty levels.

And that's just my suggestion.

The out of combat use could be more dramatic and powerful in a good way. I would limit it though that the GM could override in VERY rare cases when its used. Only for case of say the BBEG's overall plans where the players might derail too much. But only if you are running that sort of campaign. If its more sandboxy than probably not a problem.
I understand your issue in theory.

I'm not sure official Adventure Paths can be derailed by individual checks - where a player succeeds where he or she wasn't "supposed to"...

5ekyu

Hero
Generally, I dislike hero points, drama points etc. They get worse when integrated strongly into system and have not seen system where they find a good balance.

Contrast with what I would call specialty points where Hero point type impact is limited to a narrow specialty on a character to spotlight advanced tricks or knowledge in their most potent field. I find that fine - just a flexible method for enhancing a specialty.

CapnZapp

Legend
The best system I've seen has been in the Warhammer FRP game, at least before later editions made it complicated and ruined it.

That is, 1st edition introduced Fate Points and the idea you could live to fight another day. (You could also use them to negate a single killing blow, but then you'd be open to dying the next round, so that usage carries next to no narrative weight)

And then 2nd edition complemented that with Fortune Points. Re-rolls basically.

Anything else than that is just clutter.

Remove ads