Hill Dwarf Storm Sorc/Tempest Cleric build help needed.

hejtmane

Explorer
Well, here's the problem. What do you WANT to do? If you want to be a thematic spellcaster, and have a schtick ("I'm a lightning mage!"), there's plenty of ways to do that. Storm Sorcerer, the new Sea Sorcerer, Tempest Theurge Wizard, etc. Note that there's absolutely nothing wrong with being thematic; I love doing it. It's awesome. It also lets you make terrible puns.

"Don't look so.... shocked."

By going Lightning or Thunder, you're going to run into one problem, especially at lower level play: Take a look at the Lightning and Thunder cantrips available.

First, Cleric gets one offense damaging Cantrip, and that's Sacred Flame. Radiant Damage. So you're not going there. Sorcerer has Lightning Lure and Shocking Grasp. So either pull an enemy closer to you, close enough to where they hit you and your low HP having self, or use Shocking Grasp, which requires you to touch the enemy. Again, not ideal, you don't want to be in range to get hit.

Most people see the Tempest Cleric's ability to maximize damage and fall in love with it. And why not? It can totally trivialize encounters. But it's a dangerous game to play, if you ask me. You need to have the right DM. Some take trivializing an encounter as a personal affront. I'm not saying it's right, but it happens.

From the perspective of a DM that has a player with this exact build of classes after the early levels rarely ever uses cantrips but if they do he weant heavy armor build made life easier do not need to max str only took two levels of cleric and with shield. The max damage once per short/long rest is this any different than action surge from the fighter it has caused no issues in my game. Unless the DM is just terrible at encounter building this is a non issue

Remove ads