D&D 2E [History] Historical Reference Softcovers. Which ones did you use?

Did you use Historical Reference Softcovers in your D&D games?

• HR 1 : Vikings Campaign

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • HR 2 : Charlemagne's Paladins

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • HR 3 : Celts

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • HR 4 : A Mighty Fortress

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • HR 5 : Glory of Rome

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • HR 6 : Age of Heroes

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • HR 7 : Crusades

Votes: 5 25.0%

pantaar

Explorer
I own the Celts, Glory of Rome, and A Mighty Fortress (Thirty Years War period). I found all of the books to be good quality and helpful in designing a historical, low magic campaign.

I ran a game that covered Julius Caesar's Gallic War, and the characters were Iberian merchants who interacted with both Gauls and Romans, but met with bad ends at Alesia.

I always wanted to run a game set during Cromwell's rise to power and the Protectorate, but our group never settled on the central struggle and goal of the characters.

I own the Celts, Charlemagne's Paladins, Crusades, Mighty Fortress, and Age of Heroes - I think that's all. I've run some games using Charlemagne's Paladins but adapted to a low fantasy Visigothic Spain just before the Muslim invasion. With Mighty Fortress used it for the firearms rules in our multidimensional Spelljamming high school campaign, always thought it would be a good setting but now have Lamentations of the Flame Princess and would probably use that or 5e if I really wanted to do an age of Reformation or 30 years war campaign. Crusades is really cool and possibly the fullest of the settings for launching a campaign mostly using just the book, but probably not one I'd do. A friend of mine ran a 2e Hellenic campaign with Age of Heroes. I've never really been that inspired by the Celts book. A 3e book I really like but only have in .pdf is Testament, which does the Old Testament era, I've used that a bit for a custom 5e setting.

I ran a year-long campaign set during the 3rd Crusade, using the Crusades handbook. . .and I ran a campaign that lasted about 6 months that was set during the Roman Empire that used the Celts and Romans sourcebooks (since those eras overlapped).

I regret that they haven't done anything like these for later editions.
does anyone remember the adventure in Dungeon magazine set in the 3rd crusade which came out 2000 or so?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Issue #257 of Dragon Magazine had an HR style feature on Dark Age Britain, it was very good. I really like the alternate versions of the demihumans they described. I would love to play a dockalfen or erlking.

Remove ads