History of the UNDERDARK (And A Bit Of Drizzt)

WotC has published an article by Shannon Appelcline which delves into the origins and evolution of the Underdark, from its first appearance in Greyhawk, in Gary Gygax's Hall of the Fire Giant King (1978), to when Douglas Niles named it in 1986's Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, up until the present day Rage of Demons storyline for D&D 5th Edition. The article also covers - of course - that most famous of Underdark denizens, the dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden. Did you know the Underdark was known as the Deepearth before it was the Underdark?

WotC has published an article by Shannon Appelcline which delves into the origins and evolution of the Underdark, from its first appearance in Greyhawk, in Gary Gygax's Hall of the Fire Giant King (1978), to when Douglas Niles named it in 1986's Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, up until the present day Rage of Demons storyline for D&D 5th Edition. The article also covers - of course - that most famous of Underdark denizens, the dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden. Did you know the Underdark was known as the Deepearth before it was the Underdark?

Click on the pretty Underdark art to take a look!

28_DnDAlumni_Underdark1.jpg

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
Fun read.

When I think of the Underdark, I cannot help but think back on first exploring Blackreach in Skyrim. So captivating, and a little frightening of what might be lurking around down there.

I have not had a chance to play or DM Out of the Abyss yet, due to my group's sandbox campaign (Forgotten Realms); but I have purchased the book and it looks incredibly fun. I have already called dibs on running Out of the Abyss with my group.

As far as the Dark Elf trilogy, it was a fantastic series. The plot was thin, but I just kept turning the pages to see what the hell else the Underdark was going to throw at the characters. The setting was so good I found myself a little bored during the third book when the story was taken else-where (Not a spoiler as the book is two decades old, and the current cover art gives that away).

Bring on the Underdark!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Its a great part of D&D...but this series confirms, maybe a bit overdone?

There are other places in the D&Dverse.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
My gaming experiences have been better, and better informed, thanks to the Underdark. So much good stuff to use as a DM, and to experience as a player.

The Annihilator is one of my favorite go to monsters of the Underdark.

tumblr_inline_n1b83nKhxd1rprfgq.jpg

Its a great part of D&D...but this series confirms, maybe a bit overdone?

There are other places in the D&Dverse.
Certainly, and it is and will be always exciting to see more regions detailed. That said, fascination with a scary, unexplored, mysterious world beneath our feet is natural and ubiquitous, perhaps especially in a medieval fantasy game about killing monsters and searching for lost treasures.

I don't expect popular interest in underworlds to ever disappear, most especially not with a generation of new gamers raised on Minecraft.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads