Holly's Master of the Fallen Fortress Journal

SnowleopardVK

First Post
We got back, negotiated to pay for healing from the only healer this place has, I was a bit miffed about that. Only one? I guess I’m used to the resources of the city. Suzume also convinced him to sell us his last two healing potions. He was reluctant about that; greedy idiot doesn’t even seem to realize that a man’s life may depend on us.

Well at any rate, he’s negotiated to come heal us in the morning before we set out. For now we should get some food, and then rest.

--Holly Hay, 12 Desnus, 4712 ar.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
Had to use one of the two potions on Chimi, the healer fixed up me and Suzume. I don’t like our chances of going in with just one potion, especially considering that now they’ll be on alert, and we had three last time. Still, nothing will ever get done if you just pick and choose and only do safe things in life. I’ve still got hope that Balenar is alive, and it’s up to us to rescue him.

And we will, or I’ll damn well die trying.

--Holly Hay, 13 Desnus, 4712 ar.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
We got to the tower at around sunset. Suzume went up first, ran the rope down, and we all followed. There was nobody stationed on the second floor this time, turns out they were running low on guards after our last attack on the tower. All the better for us.

We went up the stairs to the third floor for the first time, and came in to a room filled with bunks. The smell was horrific, but there was nobody here. The ones Chimi and Roban fought before our last escape had probably come running from this room though.

The whole room stunk of troglodyte at any rate, and Roban looked sick from it. We decided to move on quickly, flipped a copper to decide between the north and south doors. It came up heads again, so we went north. The room we found must’ve been similar to the lizard pen downstairs, meant to house an animal I mean. There was a great big frog inside that lashed at me with its tongue when I opened the door!

Well I managed to smack the tongue away before it could do much, but I wasn’t going to stand for it trying to catch me like that, so I threw one of my little axes and hit it right in its froggy face! After that, Roban cast a spell that put it to sleep and we finished it off. Seems these troglodytes have several guard monsters. One on each floor that they’ve occupied so far… I wonder what’s up top.

The door at the other end of the frog’s room led to an open gap in the wall. It didn’t look like we could climb to the top from outside, so we headed back and tried the south door from the dormitory. There was another troglodyte in here, and compared to the ones we’d fought so far this one was big, or rather… It was normal-sized and all the others had been small. Gods he smelled awful, the others were reeling from it, so I flung an axe at him. After that it was mostly a battle between me and the big troglodyte, as the others couldn’t seem to fight well in the smell. The big trog was finished off by this icy ray that Roban managed to land right on its neck. I got scratched up pretty bad in that fight, but the others were fine.

We’re resting for a minute or two now. Our persistence finally paid off when we checked through the door beyond the big guy’s room. Balenar was all chained up in there! He begged us to release him, which of course we did. We found his stuff in a metal chest in the big troglodyte’s room too, and now we’re sitting out on the open ledge past the frog’s room, discussing strategy. The enemy leader should be on the top floor with his favourite pet. It’s pretty much our duty to get rid of a threat like a troglodyte shaman; hopefully Balenar’s help makes it easier.

--Holly Hay, 14 Desnus, 4712 ar.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
We managed to sneak up the stairs unnoticed. Lucky us, the troglodyte leader was distracted, gazing out a window, and his pet, a big white toad dripping with slime and that had two huge tusks wasn’t being very attentive. I remember being at the head of the group, giving a silent hand signal to attack, and then we all went at them at once.

Figuring the frog would go down faster, I flung one of my little axes at it. It hit right on the monster’s back and the thing squealed pretty loudly. The others were already attacking too though, and struck before either frog or shaman could react. Roban blasted him right off the balcony with this huge rush of water, and Suzume shot an arrow that brought down the frog in a single hit! Must’ve gone right into a vital organ or something.

When I looked over the edge I saw the shaman getting up on the ground far below us! In a split-second decision I asked Roban if he had enough magic left to cast that slow-falling spell of his. He said yes, so I said good and leapt over the edge to finish off the trog. I felt the spell around me and grabbed one of my small axes as I got closer to the ground, flinging it when I was just close enough to be sure of my aim. Damn lizard sidestepped it though, and when I landed he chanted some spell and a pair of huge centipedes appeared between me and him!

The bugs couldn’t get through my chainmail so I stepped back and flung an axe over them at the troglodyte. It hit, but must not have got very deep. The shaman winced in pain, cast some spell, and then started trying to limp away! Well one of the bugs must have gotten around my armour at that moment ‘cause I felt a little nip of fangs. Must’ve been poisonous too, I started feeling stiff right away. Still, wasn’t about to let the troglodyte get away. Bugs be damned, I dropped my guard and ran around them, got close enough to fling another little axe, but I missed him. The bugs came up behind me, and one bit me pretty bad on the leg at that point, and the shaman cast another spell, blanketing the area with a thick mist. It looked like something to cover his escape, meant he was still in there, or maybe on the other side. The bugs disappeared, and I charged through.

There he was, running at full speed. I wasn’t thinking when I ran after him, splitting up from the others, and after a little less than a minute he slowed, spun around, and summoned two more centipedes! The bite from the ones before had hurt, but they’d only stayed around for a few seconds. Praying that was a limitation of his magic, I charged forwards, out of throwing axes, and swung my big axe. A centipede latched onto my other leg as I went by them, but I caught the trog in the jaw with the axe’s blade, and he fell!

I took up a defensive stance until the centipedes disappeared, then turned my attention to the shaman. He was down, but not dead, so I set to work trying to bandage his wounds. I was pretty sure we’d have questions for him later, and we needed him alive for that. Once I was pretty certain that he wasn’t in danger of dying on me I picked him up and carried him back to the tower, stopping to pick up my axes on the way.

I met up with the others at the base of the tower. Chimi had a verbal thrashing ready for me, saying I hadn’t matured at all and was acting just like I did when she’d last seen me seventeen years ago. I don’t remember much from when I was six, so I guess I’ll just have to believe her on that. I’m pretty sure the fact that I’m alive, and that I won this fight is what matters most anyways.

We’ve set up a camp in the tower now, in the empty room that had the javelin trap. This one smells the least like troglodyte. Balenar’s healed my wounds already, but I’m still going to rest to see if I can shrug off the effects of the centipede poison. Suzume and Roban are searching the tower for valuables, and I think Chimi and Balenar are discussing what to do with the troglodyte, what they want to know, that kind of stuff.

Well… I’d better get some sleep.

--Holly Hay, 14 Desnus, 4712 ar.

~The End

SnowleopardVK

First Post
So that was our Master of the Fallen Fortress game. It's perhaps the closest to TPK we've come in a game where everyone managed to survive.

Had Suzume not thought to jam the lock in the shrine the Troglodyte leader definitely would have unlocked the door and killed them all, and had Holly taken even one round longer the troglodyte druid probably would have killed her and escaped.

This was a intended to be a one shot adventure, but everybody seemed to enjoy these characters, so they've all taken a second level in their respective classes and we might just continue playing in Tian Xia after all.

Remove ads