• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Holy Gunslingers in a West that Never Quite Was... Blood in New Gidea

Paka

Explorer
Cain and the Lynch Mob

Cain left the Temple unsure if he had achieved the result he was looking for. He didn’t like talking in front of big crowds and this was his first time addressing a Congregation like that.

Down the street, in front of the Territory Regulator’s office was a lynch mob, plain and simple. They had ruck-sacks over their heads with holes cut out for the eyes. Their torches were lighting up the evening and a man was kneeling in front of them while they held the Territory Marshal, a young member of the Faith, at gunpoint.

The bandit, kneeling in the dirt before the lynch mob was crying. Snot and spit was coming out of his mouth as he bawled, begging for mercy. His cries for mercy were answered when one of the mob leveled their Winchester rifle at the base of his skull, cocking the lever action so a bullet was in the barrel, ready to kill.

Cain tried to reason with ‘em but he was through talking for the evening. When they gave him lip, their masks giving them bravery they wouldn’t have otherwise felt when confronting a Dog, he jumped on his horse and rode at them full tilt.

He knocked the one with a rifle to the ground and threw the soon-to-be-shot bandit over the back of his horse. The other members of the mob watched the Dog ride away, not quite ready to shoot a Watchdog in the back.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you,” the bandit pleaded.

“Give me some quiet or I’ll turn around and leave you back there.”

In quiet they road away, finding a nice alley to rest a while. The evening’s events had taken their toll on Cain and he needed a moment to catch his breath.

Enter Anadarch

Anadarch rode into town alone, just as the Congregation left after Cain’s sermon about justice and his plans to mete it out.

He caught bits and pieces of the town’s situation and wasn’t sure what to make of it all. He stopped an elderly couple walking home from the Temple.

The wife stepped up to talk to the newly arrived Dog. “You must be the other Dog we heard about. Heard there was two of ya.”

Anadarch looked down at the couple from his horse.

“Seems to me that this Seth fella deserves to die and its good and right that a Dog’ll be the ones to do it. That Clarissa ain’t nothing but a no-good hussy, talkinga bout the dead the way she is. She’s digging up trouble where there is none if you ask me.”

“I didn’t ask you,” Anadarch said simply. “I am stunned by your pride.”

“My pride?” the woman questioned. “I say things the way I see ‘em and tell no lies, son.”

“Son? Ma’am, it is my job to judge and not yours. Go home and think on that. Let the Dogs do their jobs and we’ll let you go on with your lives should they be covered in righteous acts.

“It isn’t your place to judge other members of the Congregation.”

Feeling chastised like a little girl and shooting her husband dirty looks for now defending her, the wife walked away.

Anadarch led his horse into town, looking for his brother dogs to hear the full story of the troubles in New Gidea.

Hellions Reunited

When Jeremiah told Enoch that Cain was the name of his brother Dog and partner the troublemaking rabble-rouser about fell out of his horse.

“We grew up together in Chariot Falls. We raised he-. We raised heck together as young-uns. He made it, huh? He’s a Dog now? Dang. Dang, but that’s just great news.”

They found Cain in the alley, with the almost-lynched bandit in front of him. Enoch rain over to his old friend and gave him a great big hug. Quickly, they fell into banter like when they were boys.

Anadarch joined them and got caught up on the going’s on in New Gidea.

Jeremiah started in on the bandit who broke so quickly under the young Dog’s questions that it hardly felt like work at all.

The bandit stammered out his side of the story.

“I was in the Territorial Authority Army but we deserted, y’see. Had to surround this village of Mountain Folk…slaughtered men, women and child. I couldn’t stomach it. None of us could.”

Jeremiah interjected. “So you took to thievin’?”

“Yessir, we did. We heard this town was well-to-do so we waited until we knew the payroll was good and fat and we struck.”

Jeremiah asked, “Ain’t no more bandits waiting for us, are there? Any who didn’t get caught?”

The bandit shook his head. “No, that greenhorn took the wind outta our sails.

“We had the money and were on our way out when he come up outta nowhere. He shot our boss in the chest…must’ve been four times and then told us the last two bullets wasn’t meant for us but he’d let us have ‘em if we wanted.

“None of us wanted to get shot. We backed down.”

“Where did he get the gun?” Anadarch asked.

The bandit shrugged. “I dunno. His bag, I seem to recall. Not sure where he got it before that.”

Jeremiah asked, “Are you of the Faith?”
“No, sir.”

“Have you ever read the Good Book?”

“No, sir. I can’t make out no words.”

Jeremiah shook his head. “That is about the saddest thing I ever heard of. Well, the Territorial Authorities will deal with you, son. Yes, they will but until then you are going to the Temple where you will listen to Bible stories and think about your no-good life and repent. Do you understand?”

Realizing that he isn’t going to get shot, the bandit accepted these terms and was led to the Temple by the Watchdogs of the Lord. Once there the Steward’s wife recited stories from the Book of Life from her memory and he sat at the foot of her rocking chair and listened as if his life depended on it.

It did.

Remove ads