D&D 5E How are the characters supposed to open this door in the Sunless Citadel module?

adrienne224

First Post
Crank it up
Digital radio sounds terrific but, Michael Lallo reports, winning listeners will be challenging. IT WAS the most inauspicious of debuts. In the wee hours of Monday, May 11, a tower near the top of Mount Dandenong began emitting Melbourne's first digital radio signal. There was no fanfare, no senior politician on hand to congratulate all concerned; when this little piece of media history was made, precious few were aware of it. From this very humble base, the nation's largest radio networks are looking to expand their empires; to use the quality and technological advantages of the digital signal to increase audience and advertising share.
See Also: Best 6.5 Car Speakers

The big question relating to digital radio is: will it fly? Will Australians do what those in Britain have not and purchase expensive radios to get the stations and features only accessible in the digital format? There are plenty of cynics who will tell you digital radio is doomed before it really starts. As one commentator wrote a few weeks after the May launch: "Who gives a toss? Radio's dead anyway ... and (digital radio) is as pointless as steam locomotives in the age of the diesel-electric." A lack of funds in the recent federal budget saw the ABC and SBS shelve plans for new digital stations. The commercial networks, fearful of fragmenting their existing audiences, are designing new stations to have only a narrow appeal.
6rSGRF1.jpg

In Britain, where digital radio has been around since the mid-'90s, there are only several million sets in use, compared with 100 million analogue sets. Many Australians don't know what digital radio is. Others predict it will be adopted as slowly and unenthusiastically as digital television. "We keep getting tarred with the digital TV brush," says the boss at Commercial Radio Australia, Joan Warner. "People are saying: 'Nothing much happened with digital TV in the first three years. You say you're going (to push digital from the outset)? Yeah, we believe you."' But don't write it off just yet. Despite claims the technology is over-hyped, it does offer genuine benefits to listeners.

And Commercial Radio Australia, having scrutinised the mistakes of Britain, is determined not to repeat them. "We don't expect everyone to rush out and buy new radios for their homes and their cars right away," Warner says. "Yet some retailers say they're already selling out of digital radio sets." So what is digital radio? Put simply, it's a new format called DAB+, which is an alternative to AM, FM and internet radio. To hear it, you must buy a digital receiver. It offers superior reception and sound (depending on the bit rate used by each station, the audio quality ranges from FM to CD standard). Basic units have a scrolling text feature that displays song names, real-time sports results, news updates and other information. Other models have colour screens that show everything from album covers to photo finishes of horse races.

Nearly all sets have a pause and rewind function. And stations are listed by name, not frequency, so they're easier to find. Most existing Melbourne commercial and government-funded stations are or will soon be simulcast on digital, and there are already four new digital-only stations, with more due to launch this year (see sidebar). Excitingly, many networks will use part of their digital spectrum to broadcast one-off events such as concerts and sports matches, or to create temporary stations such as Pink Radio. I have a basic digital radio receiver that retails at $250. Despite my scepticism about digital radio, I quickly became a convert. For a start, AM stations - most of which sound like they're broadcasting from a concrete tunnel when heard on an analogue receiver - sound excellent in digital. There is no static because you get either perfect reception or none at all (although, very rarely, the signal cuts in and out). I use the pause and rewind feature to repeat songs and news updates and the artist and title information is handy. And the digital-only stations are surprisingly good. Yet I remain underwhelmed by the audio quality of the simulcast FM stations, simply because my unit has only one small speaker. Stations such as Fox and Nova sound better on my analogue stereo radio than on my mono digital set. Of course, digital stereo sets are available but most cost a few hundred dollars. Still, with prices set to drop during the next few years, this shouldn't be an issue for too long. So why is there so much doubt about the viability of this new technology? Well, much of it stems from Britain. In the early days, even the most basic receivers were prohibitively expensive.

There was little co-operation between the commercial and government-funded stations and no unified marketing campaign. As in Australia, each broadcaster was allocated a chunk of digital spectrum to use as they pleased. Unfortunately, many chose to create lots of new stations with poor audio quality rather than a few good-sounding ones. "We've learned from those mistakes," Warner says. "Our local broadcasters understand the importance of sound quality. They're not going to be smashing (their spectrum) into tiny bit rates to get more and more stations because it defeats the purpose." Poor knowledge among sales staff is commonly cited as another reason for the slow uptake of digital radio in Britain - although things are not much better here.

In researching this story I visited the city stores of Myer, David Jones, JB Hi-Fi and Dick Smith. Myer had a dozen units and its staff were reasonably knowledgeable. But David Jones and Dick Smith had only a couple of models each, while JB Hi-Fi had none. What's more, the assistants at these stores were unable to specify a single benefit of digital radio. Internet radio could pose a threat. Thousands of stations from around the world can now be streamed through iTunes and some high-end digital receivers also have internet capabilities. But as with any internet service, it must be paid for in terms of data usage. And just because you can hear a station in New York, are you really going to stop listening to local radio? More pertinent are the problems with in-car listening.
For more information: What are The Speaker Sizes in My Car Medium.com

Local manufacturers, for instance, will not install digital radios until 2012 at the earliest. And because many late-model cars have integrated audio and climate control units, digital receivers cannot be retrofitted. Companies such as Pure offer external sets that can be attached to a windscreen or dashboard - but with many dashboards already sporting a stick-on navigation system, owners might be reluctant to add to the clutter. Not surprisingly, community stations are struggling to go digital, with most claiming they have not received sufficient government funding. But until the analog signal is shut down - and at this stage, there is no proposed switch-off date - they're unlikely to lose listeners in the short term.
UlH4Rai.jpg
Nor are there any plans to extend the digital broadcast range beyond metropolitan Melbourne. To check if your suburb can receive the signal, visit digitalradioplus .com.au and type in your postcode. Warner believes digital radio will succeed in Australia despite these problems. "All the commercial networks and the government-funded stations are working together to promote this technology," she says. "We're using the same logo and marketing material and we're spreading the same messages. And we've got ads on air right now telling people about digital radio," she says. It's too early, she adds, to make predictions about its uptake. "I could pluck a figure out of the air and it will seem pessimistic or vastly overstated. "We need to see how it goes in the first few months before we start making predictions. "But it's amazing how competitive the networks are getting," she says. "They've seen the success of the new digital stations like Radar and Koffee and they're busy developing their own new stations. I think digital radio is going to be a lot more successful than we give it credit for."

Digital gets tickled Pink DIGITAL RADIO IN MELBOURNE - Most AM and FM stations are being simulcast on digital, including 3AW, Magic, Fox, Triple M, Nova, Vega, Mix, Gold, 3MP, SEN and Sport 927. - There are four new digital-only stations on air: Radar (which plays unsigned Australian artists), Novanation (dance music), Koffee ("chill music") and Pink Radio (a temporary station playing songs by Pink while she tours Australia). - From July 1, ABC will simulcast 774, Classic, Radio National, NewsRadio and Triple J on digital.

When the analog stations interrupt their shows to broadcast sport or parliamentary proceedings, the digital stations will continue with regular programming. ABC's three internet stations - Dig, Dig Country and Dig Jazz - will also be simulcast from July 1. Additionally, ABC will broadcast one-off events such as Triple J concerts on another, unbranded channel. But the broadcaster has had to scrap its plans for new digital-only stations - including a children's channel, a sports channel and a health channel - because it did not receive sufficient funding from the Federal Government. "We're going back to the drawing board and looking at what our audience wants," says ABC Radio chief Kate Dundas. "But a new sports station is still at the top of the list." - Also from July 1, SBS will digitally simulcast its two Melbourne stations and two Sydney stations - then rebroadcast them with a two-hour time delay. "We're not only doubling the number of stations; we're giving listeners more opportunities to catch up on their favourite programs," says the acting director of SBS Radio, Christoph Wimmer.
Related article: Best car speaker brands
SBS intended to launch several new digital-only channels - a South-East Asian channel, Chinese channel, European channel and a current affairs and youth channel - but the Federal Government declined funding. - Pacific Star Network, owner of SEN and 3MP, intends to launch "one or two new stations later this year" but will not reveal its plans. - Australian Radio Network, owner of Mix and Gold, will launch a digital-only youth music channel called The Edge on July 1. The station will play artists such as Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. - Fairfax Radio, owner of 3AW and Magic, will launch two digital-only music stations in August. "We're putting the finishing touches on them so I can't reveal what they are yet," says Fairfax Radio boss Graham Mott. "But they're going to be low-cost formats. 3AW and Magic will continue to be the focus ... as far as our business operates." - Sport 927 will use part of its digital spectrum to broadcast events such as the major racing carnival days uninterrupted. It will also create sports programs aimed at a younger audience. Digitalradioplus .com.au

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
If it's the door I think it is, the PC's can get a key later. If they are 'lucky' they can hit the door's DC to unlock- I actually had this happen when I ran the adventure, the Barbarian had the Urchin Background and rolled very high (the Cleric also hit him with Guidance, but he didn't really need the bonus). Unfortunately, this was a mostly level 1 party, so they were not prepared for the Dragonpriest encounter- we lost the Monk that day. I don't think much of this particular piece of adventure design; "oh this is a really hard encounter, so we'll put it behind a door they won't likely be able to open until later in the adventure".

Unless of course, they do open it early...

jasper

Rotten DM
I need a room number. Or general location. But during my play thru the group missed some perception checks and open lock checks. So some rooms were left unopened. One player was ticked because he remember a room from his 3E times.

alienux

Explorer
Warning ! May contain spoilers if you are playing the Sunless Citadel module from the Tales of the Yawning Portal book. We are playing this module and the party is still level 1 (cleric, paladin, ...

And the rest of this post is apparently behind that same door.....

Warning ! May contain spoilers if you are playing the Sunless Citadel module from the Tales of the Yawning Portal book. We are playing this module and the party is still level 1 (cleric, paladin, ...

The OP probably posted a link or some such and being a new member it didn't work, low post count!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's right there. Right above that Kobold on that throne. (that really is the picture from the adventure - that's the key you're looking for, in that stone dragon statue's mouth)

DD_Tales_From_the_Yawning_Portal_yudrayl_kobold_leader.jpg

Remove ads