How do you keep your GM notes?

Thomas Shey

Legend
Even before going virtual, if I felt a need to keep eye contact with players I wouldn't be able to run at all; I always have too much material to keep track of for that.

R_J_K75

Legend
Pocket binder.

ut9H42N.jpg

wqUT9BR.jpg

hxV3uN9.jpg

NBIW6yC.jpg

zZPbFX3.jpg

Dungeons levels 4 and 5 are in the next two pockets, and 6 and 7 in the next two after that, etc.
Thanks for making my game prep look feeble and inadequate. I'll sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

Google Docs for me. I usually keep my notes for a single campaign in an ongoing document with internal links to each session. My notes tend to range from hyper-detailed to nonexistent, depending on how much prep time I have and how concerned I am about upcoming scenes and conflicts. I frequently add images or sidebars with additional information.

Here's an example of some notes, including a sidebar with some details on how long a journey might take depending which route the party chose:

1632248445127.png

Another example with a screenshot from Roll20. I'm using a published adventure here so my notes are relatively brief.

1632248778841.png

And, when life gets really busy, my notes dwindle further:

1632249022894.png

aramis erak

Legend
I tend to do cheat sheets covering the entire mechanicals needed in play. They're typed/laid-out in either Pages or LibreOffice.
[snip]
That's prep notes.
Notes in play? disposables on 3×5 cards
Stables on either College Rule or Narrow Rule paper. Finding Narrow Rule is bloody hard... but recently, digest sized notebooks and filler paper have become available, and I am happy. I wish I could get page protectors in that size, tho'...and, due to hole placement, cutting down letter size isn't a good option.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
Since I primarily now play on Fantasy Grounds my notes are either in the "notes" feature in Fantasy Grounds or in a document using Libre Office's word processor.
Yeah, I found FG to be ideal not only for writing my home brews but taking notes as well. It’s handy with links to images, maps, encounters and such. For face-to-face stuff, I use OneNote.

cmad1977

Hero
My biggest issue is that I’m so used to keeping notes in a journal for tabletop games. But the games I play are VTT style. So my notes wind up mixed between the digital and the physical. Things still work out but…. CHAOS!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Lately, all of mine are digital (Google Docs, if you want specifics). But back in the day, I was a big fan of using composition notebooks.

Remove ads