• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many "subclasses"/builds per class?

Steely_Dan

First Post
This whole class thing has gotten out of hand, one man's "...this is not nearly enough classes!" is the next guy's "...what, way too many!".

All very personal at times, I think as long as they keep the core 4 (which, most concepts are realised through, not all, before they start) as flexible as possible, and other classes more niche, it could work.

All I know, from my own biased point of view, is I want the Monk addressed, proper, like 1st Ed style, y'all!

All I know, from my own biased point of view, is I want the Monk addressed, proper, like 1st Ed style, y'all!

And what I know from mine is that the 1e monk was risible even compared to the 3e monk. It had an AC barely better than the wizard, hit points that exceeded the wizard only by 1d4, attribute requirements from hell, an attack that at 5th level was only 1d6 - and used the thief to hit table. Also their XP table was one of the suckiest in the game.

With the diversity of abilities never adding up to anything coherent, this meant that monks were only better than thieves before the thief hit level 10 (and the monk was at level 7) in 1e at two things: Running Away and Playing Dead (no, seriously! Monks could fake being dead at level 6 - if they didn't get dead for real long before that).

Oh, I forgot. The level 7 monk could heal his wounds 1/day. Which given he had an AC of 5, and couldn't use his dex bonus for AC or wear magic armour he'd need.

Come to think of it the monk could also fall off walls better than the thief. (He couldn't climb as well because he'd be a couple of levels behind by then).

And we know that the thief was hardly the best class in AD&D...

If we want monks at all, we want 4e monks - wire-fu masters.

gyor

Legend
This very well may be the case.

But I am curious where/how/why you got this impression (that there won't be much in splat books...but then won't "modular stuff" books essentially be splat books anyway?).

Just an impression I pieced together from interviews. I could be wrong. And Modular books would only have splat stuff that's absolutely needed for a Module, it would be a tome filled with it, like say Complete Adventurer, which is a splat book.

A book with some splat stuff, vs. a Splat Book,,get the difference? :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads