• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much interest for Shadowrun with The Matrix and Cthulhu

Mr_Spicoli

Explorer
Looking to see what the interest level for a Shadowrun campaign using "The Matrix" and Cthulhupunk influences. Looking for potential players as well as opinions and ideas.

In the process of designing a campaign scenario based on the 3rd edition Shadowrun world. Add to it ideas from the Matrix movie but tweaked with Brave New World. The Matrix is a new drug entertainment system that feeds biofeedback and psychic energy from the billions hooked up to it to a megagenerator powering unscrupulous AIs. There are those who gain much power and wealth from this setup. Also, Voodoo magic will be involved in the matrix as from the William Gibson novels.

There will also be Cthulhu mythos beings that are involved with rituals and cults. The result will be influences from Gurps Cthulhupunk manual.

Movies for inspiration
The Matrix series
5th Element
Johnny Mnemonic
Blade Runner
Sneakers
Hackers

TV shows:
X files
Tekwar-some good ideas

Novels for inspiration and imagination:
All of the Shadowrun novels.
For cyberpunk inspiration:
William Gibson: Burning Chrome, Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive

Neal Stephenson: Snow Crash, THE DIAMOND AGE

Bruce Sterling: Schismatrix, Islands In The Net, Heavy Weather, Holy Fire, Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology, Crystal Express, Globalhead,A Good Old-Fashioned Future

Williams, Walter Jon: Hardwired
Twelve years after Earth loses the Earth-Orbital war, panzerboys perform illegal runs from the west coast where the orbital shuttles land, across what once was America, to the northeast, encountering frequent organized resistance.

Philip K. Dick, : Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? The movie `Bladerunner' is based on this book

Effinger, George Alec: When Gravity Fails, A Fire in the Sun

Lewitt, S. N.: Cybernetic Jungle

Vinge, Vernor: True Names

Platt, CharlesThe Silicon Man

Huxley, Aldus:Brave New World

John Shirley: He was a member of the original movement and one of the most extreme and influential cyberpunks. His novel City Come A'Walkin is generally credited for introducing many ideas that were later popularized by Gibson's Neuromancer.
He was the only original cyberpunk to live the punk aspect of the genre. He was leading singer of several punk bands

Please share idea, opinions, information. If the game has enough of an interest level, planning to run a cmapaing sometime late December or so.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Ahem.

Interested. Very much so.

I've had ideas for a physadept in Shadowrun for ages now, but couldn't find a game. Hopefully that would be an okay starter for a concept in this...though I'm flexible. I'm a sucker for near future/cpunk stuff, especially with fantasy overtones. :)

kingpaul

First Post
Very interesting premise. I haven't played SR in quite some time, but I still have the 3e book and Man&Machine. I've always liked playing the muscle cyborg types.

Mr_Spicoli

Explorer
Everyone interested should post on here once in a while to bump this for visibility. We are still planning the camapign so we need to keep the posts going until December and not lose track of this thread. It would be best to subsrcribe to this so everyone sees the updates which may not be for a week at a time until the game starts and characters are made.

I will be designing the campaign scenarios all this while and discussing game elements that may be interesting to all.

One idea I would like to implement is graphic maps as well as tactical combat and sometimes movement tracking for such things as chases, vehicles and even climbing (tall buildings, mountains etc.) in one form or another.

I am even considering playing certain bits or even adventures using the soon to be created Shadowrunner Nights Neverwinter Nights Mod if everyone agrees. This can be either a component of the main campaign or a sidequest for those interested. This wil be the first Shadowrun roel playing game designed, with full party and GM control ability. This of course is not a necessary part of the campaign, only an idea to throw around.

Remove ads