• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E How would you design this high level encounter? (Terrain photos inside)

Please see the attached photos. I am building a terrain piece for the final(ish) encounter of my campaign against the Big Bad and would love some thoughts about environmental or random effects I could use.

THE PREMISE: the walls between the planes has run thin and as a result magic and all things planar are having an increasingly random effect (aka, there is a % chance of arcane magic going Wild). The source of all this wackiness is a massive stone egg/cocoon with a spiral hole cut through it like a giant worm eating through an apple. The inside of the egg/cocoon is crystaline and it spirals down into a central chamber were the Big Bad awaits.

THE BUILD: After mapping out the general shape, I am building this encounter as a multi-level battle mat showing the descent through the egg/cocoon. Materials include a ton of plexiglass pieces and cake pillars.

THE ENCOUNTER: 7 players, APL 20 with one Mythic Tier. I would like to have some sort of variable/random environmental or elemental effects to reflect the fact that each section is influenced by a different plane. Bare in mind that this is just the Part 1 of the encounter, with two very difficult battles after this part is done.

How would you run this encounter? What would you use? Would you run it like a Haunt? Or more like 5e Lair Actions? Would you have the Big Bad flitting around as the party tried to keep up or would you have him at the very bottom working some Dark Magick that our Heroes need to stop in time all the while slogging through a barrage of traps, elementals, and demons?

20180919_165220.jpg20180919_170559.jpg20180919_170605.jpg

Remove ads