Hunting for Hunter Planet

DMH

First Post
Usually Noble Knight has a copy or two but none currently. You might to check there from time to time.

I have HP and it is both incredibly funny and incredibly stupid.

Iholio

First Post
Wow. Someone remembers this game!

I was lucky enough to be involved in the game when it was first lauched - David Bruggerman used to run the Roleplaying club where a bunch of us went, so we kind of all got used to the idea that it was realistically going to be a locally appreciated game only.

I'll do some digging and see whether I can find my copy of the game. I think it's a first edition one, as it looks nothing like the ones on Ariel Archives.

Iholio.

The Green Adam

First Post
Thanks guys!

Trust me when I say that I remember, have run and/or have played nearly every RPG ever. I am not kinding and I am not embelishing.

During the mid to lates 1980's trying new games was our thing. While we have our regular weekly campaigns, my friends and I tried out new RPGs constantly.

I played Hunter Planet only once, run by a friend of mine and based on a plot/adventure he and I came up with together. A recent conversation about sci-fi comedy RPGs reminded how cool it had been. Our take on it was of sort of Predator meets Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I've got some great ideas on how to update the premise and add in a host of other stuff for a potential long term campaign but I really need the original before I undertake the endeavor.

@DMH - I thought of Nobile Knight but didn't see a copy recently. I will keep an eye out though.

@Iholio - You the man! If you have any insights or material I'd really appreciate a heads up. Very cool.

AD
Barking Alien

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Earlier this year, I sold a copy of the "executive pack" (i.e., the game's second printing) to somebody over at The Acaeum, so you may want to ask around on their forums.

Iholio

First Post
I played Hunter Planet only once, run by a friend of mine and based on a plot/adventure he and I came up with together. A recent conversation about sci-fi comedy RPGs reminded how cool it had been. Our take on it was of sort of Predator meets Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
The really weird thing is that this game made it to the states, and I have a feeling that (in general) some of the original spirit of the game might not have translated well.

I'll give you a rundown on the basic premise of the game, at least the way in which Dave (the author) used to run them. Hopefully it'll be of some help, and might help shed some light on how the game was intended to be run; if you know this already, tell me to shut up ;)

The key thing with HP was its delivery - Aliens don't know what a mouse, or a keyboard, or even a coffee pot is, so half of the entertainment for the player was hearing everyday objects described in strange ways, and then trying to work out what they were, or even how to interract with them.

A good example was where we bumped into some "hoomans" and after turning and running, one of them threw what looked like a rock at us. One of the guys, who was able to analyze and material through his super-enhanced tastebuds, was able to determine that the rock was infact metal, shortly before the grenade went off.

Oh, and most people generally don't make it back from the hunts. Typically, if there were 6 of us playing, two would be lucky to make it back alive.

Sure, its a bummer for the other four, but if the story and the delivery is entertaining, then its still funny to sit and listen.

@Iholio - You the man! If you have any insights or material I'd really appreciate a heads up. Very cool.
I feel sick.. I went through the cupboard and found whats left of my old RPG stuff, which was ONLY a set of Car Wars rules.. no Hunterplanet. I vaguely remember cleaning out some old game that I thought I'd never play, it must have been one of them :erm:

The Green Adam

First Post
Thought you'd never play?!

I feel sick.. I went through the cupboard and found whats left of my old RPG stuff, which was ONLY a set of Car Wars rules.. no Hunterplanet. I vaguely remember cleaning out some old game that I thought I'd never play, it must have been one of them :erm:

How could you?? *WAIL* -weep-sob- :.-(

Heh, teasing.

We did have the element of Earth as 'Terra Incognita' but I think we went a bit more American in the concept of why the Aliens were there.

Picture if you will the typical US Sitcom or 'TV Family'. These are our aliens. Cross ALF and/or the upcoming Planet 51 with King of the Hill. If I remember correctly, I was a Robot/Droid Repairman who fixed up and resold used Robots on the side. One guy was a Wildlife Photographer for Interstellar Geographic. Two other players were a dad (Plasma Fuel Saleman or something) and his teenage son doing a male/family bonding thing. There were a few more characters but I don't remember them well on account of they were all killed. Each and everyone had saved up for this Hunting Safari Vacation to the distant planet Dirt.

In juxtiposition to our mundance jobs and talents we were all bizarre extraterrestrials. I remember my guy well, 5ft tall, blue-green, furry and best described as a cross between Grover from Sesame Street, an otter and some kind of dog. The dad and kid team were the most humanoid and the photographer guy was...difficult to describe. Kind of like a plant, kind of like an insect and not completely unlike a very tall fire hydrant. Yeah.

The hoomuns we were hunting were UFO enthusiasts who were looking for clues or lights in the sky. You see, weeks earlier our 'Tour Guides' had flown over searching out good hunting spots. Now tons of UFO nuts, paranoid locals and government types (Army and Men In Black) were crawling over the place.

That's about all I recall except for the fact that we had a ball and the game was a roller coaster ride of bad calls, acting before thinking and a few really inspired moves. Oh! For example, at one point when we were in big trouble I used my Robot skills to MacGuyver a lawnmower, a video camera and some other equipment into a robot explorer/bomb snifter. It found some lands mines the hard way and we were pelted by a great deal of burning shrapnel. At the same time, it enabled the survivors to get past a difficult obstacle in an attempt to make it safely back to our ship.

Awesome.

AD
Barking Alien

rammstein123666

First Post
Hp

hey all.

it's funny stumbling across this because i work for the author we play hunter planet with his sons and daughters it is a very entertaining game the hunterplanet books are rare i was lucky enough to be given one but he said that there is people putting them into pdf files, i have no idea where but just keep your eyes peeled

cheers

Tallthorn

First Post
Wow. Someone remembers this game!

I was lucky enough to be involved in the game when it was first lauched - David Bruggerman used to run the Roleplaying club where a bunch of us went, so we kind of all got used to the idea that it was realistically going to be a locally appreciated game only.

I'll do some digging and see whether I can find my copy of the game. I think it's a first edition one, as it looks nothing like the ones on Ariel Archives.

Iholio.
I also played HP at Nunawading Wargamers in the late 80’s. I owned a copy, but alas, no longer. Can you help me to obtain a copy please? tallthorn@gmail.com

Remove ads