Important (Obvious) Safety Tip Regarding Resin Printing

Retreater

Legend
So I'm relatively new with 3D printing, having bought my first resin printer in Spring 2021. One of the first things you learn is don't handle the liquid resin without protective gloves.
Obviously I wore gloves when taking the completed print off the build plate and rinsing it first with medical grade alcohol and water. The issue would come that I'd take off my gloves after that point to clear off supports and trim the models while still soft and pliable, before using UV light to cure them.
This is a big no-no, apparently. They shouldn't be handled with bare skin until completely cured under UV light.
My hands have been covered in dry skin and a painful rash for about a week now. I got a wash and cure station, non-toxic plant-based resin, for when I want to return to the hobby. And of course, I'll be wearing gloves all the time now.
Just wanted to pass along this information for anyone who might be getting started with 3D resin printing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ouch. My sympathies. Thank you for taking the moment to allow others to learn from your mistakes.

Ryujin

Legend
So I'm relatively new with 3D printing, having bought my first resin printer in Spring 2021. One of the first things you learn is don't handle the liquid resin without protective gloves.
Obviously I wore gloves when taking the completed print off the build plate and rinsing it first with medical grade alcohol and water. The issue would come that I'd take off my gloves after that point to clear off supports and trim the models while still soft and pliable, before using UV light to cure them.
This is a big no-no, apparently. They shouldn't be handled with bare skin until completely cured under UV light.
My hands have been covered in dry skin and a painful rash for about a week now. I got a wash and cure station, non-toxic plant-based resin, for when I want to return to the hobby. And of course, I'll be wearing gloves all the time now.
Just wanted to pass along this information for anyone who might be getting started with 3D resin printing.
Recently got a Mars 2 Pro and a wash & cure station as an early Christmas present for myself. My fingertips have been cracking just from the cold, dry air, let alone anything to do with handling prints, so I've been pretty careful. So far I've only used water washable resin but I'm still being very cautious, for the reason that you stated.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
A co-worker I game with at work (now virtually) just added exhaust to his house. He stopped at Homedepot and the guy had him buy a bunch of stuff. Turns out that stuff didn't work and he rented a hole driller for 1/3 the price to get it out his house. So, he recommends doing some more up front research before diving in.

Obvious safety is the kind that is most often the type that should be most frequently discussed.

I can still quote the range safety speech from my days in the Army. The jist- you clear the weapon, point it down range, only load and fire when the range is 'hot' and the range control officers are in charge, check for ammo and brass before exiting after re-clearing. I had to hear the speech at least twice a year, but somebody ALWAYS f*****d something up.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
@Retreater Ohh, I hope you get well soon. Resin sounds interesting, but it looks like it is a bit dangerous and not kid/pet safe. I think I'll pass until I have a well ventilated space. The delta I got has a nice quality for the time being.

Remove ads