• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved Unarmed Strike + Grappling

IcyCool

First Post
Taloras said:
I refuse to play LG because its antithetical to my personal beliefs. No, im not an anarchist. Its just every example of LG that ive seen has nearly driven me up the wall. I personally am about as close to CG as you can get....ill help others when i can, but i have problems with authority. and my mind just wont work in a LG mode. ;) Oddly enough, it WILL work in a CE/LE mode. Its just LG that bugs me.

Strange, if you have a problem with authority, then LN and LE should drive you up a wall just as much as LG.

*shrug* To each his own I guess.

Taloras

First Post
I cant explain why they dont. *shrugs* I think its the authority mixed with the holier than thou attitude. Who knows? I just know it drives me crazy. And having LG in my party is almost as bad. Id rather have 5 CN rogues in my party than 1 LG paladin.

IcyCool

First Post
Just so you know, having a LG alignment and being a Paladin are two separate (slightly related) things.

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. (Paladin = Square ;) )

Being true to your word, following the law, and generally being good to people is LG.

Being a prick, bossing everyone around, and threatening those who disagree with you is, sadly, what most of the Paladin player's I've met believe is the epitome of the LG Paladin.

Don't let the Paladins of the world ruin LG for you. :)

Taloras

First Post
Heh. All that said, even if i played LG the way you describe it, my group has such a veiw of LG being that way that they would constantly gripe me out if i was LG and DIDNT play it that way. Hmm...although that -might- be an interesting idea....have the DM claim my alignment goes to NG because im not acting like a LG prick..

moritheil

First Post
IcyCool said:
Just so you know, having a LG alignment and being a Paladin are two separate (slightly related) things.

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. (Paladin = Square ;) )

Being true to your word, following the law, and generally being good to people is LG.

Being a prick, bossing everyone around, and threatening those who disagree with you is, sadly, what most of the Paladin player's I've met believe is the epitome of the LG Paladin.

Don't let the Paladins of the world ruin LG for you. :)

I actually haven't had any paladins played this way IMC. And you might note that in OOTS, Roy occasionally appears to be bossy or demanding based on being LG, despite not being a paladin.

So, the two are not inseperable; it's just that people who tend to be one tend to be the other.

IcyCool

First Post
moritheil said:
So, the two are not inseperable; it's just that people who tend to be one tend to be the other.

In my experience, the two have been inseperable. I keep hearing that there are players that don't play Paladins this way, and I have yet to see one.

YMMV

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
IcyCool said:
In my experience, the two have been inseperable. I keep hearing that there are players that don't play Paladins this way, and I have yet to see one.

Ooh, me, me, pick me! I've played a paladin like that, but several who weren't!

-Hyp.

ARandomGod

First Post
Taloras said:
Heh. All that said, even if i played LG the way you describe it, my group has such a veiw of LG being that way that they would constantly gripe me out if i was LG and DIDNT play it that way. Hmm...although that -might- be an interesting idea....have the DM claim my alignment goes to NG because im not acting like a LG prick..

Perfect! Play away, and don't worry about changing alignment, because you want that anyhow.

IcyCool said:

YMMV

I never done it myself, but I have seen it... once. And I will admit it completely startled me. I was all pepared to be very upset in a "Great, the main character in the group is a paladin", then I hardly noticed.

seans23

First Post
ARandomGod said:
I never done it myself, but I have seen it... once. And I will admit it completely startled me. I was all pepared to be very upset in a "Great, the main character in the group is a paladin", then I hardly noticed.

I play my paladin as young and naive with a heart of gold. He wants to do the right thing, and he encourages others to do so, but he's not anal-retentive or anything. Occasionally he proselytizes about the glory of Bahamut, but, you have to admit that Bahamut is rather glorious. Also, we've missed out on some loot because my paladin was more concerned with rescuing clerics than searching each room for treasure.

Remove ads