Is DF dead? Revival possible? Please Read.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
from what i gather amongst the rubble of all the posts is that this project is dead or near death. Most of the complaints have been

1. Noone is updating the main page.

2. Noone is putting out new ideas.

3. Noone is putting in information that promised they would.

Take each one at a time:

1. I have seen the cross posts from morrus and the guy(Lord K or R?) that would update the page. What happened to that? I saw that email was exchanged but nothing more. Status?

2. This is not always the case. I am sure allot of people want to work on this they just don't know about it. Maybe some good PR would be the case (some 'pimping' in the general forum might do) as well as going out to the various other sites and list an open 'roll' call for people to submit. I can list a few sites that we can say "We need help come help us out"

3. See 2. and this also comes down to responsibility to produce when promised. I am guilty of this I will admit, but work with another project came up (PCGen) and I took on a larger role with that organization. Just some feedback and accountability would do. stating "I promised to do X but Y and Z came up" would do nicely.

Overall we can save this and we can proceed onward it will take a few brave souls to save this and move on. I am game as I planeed on doing allot for this setting but no time came up due to other projects. Now that that has cooled down I have come back to look at this and see it is in need of some help. I think with all our pooled resources we can accomplish this and then some.

Comments, questions, concerns?

GreyOne

Explorer
I'm still in. I don't have the web-skills to update and manipulate the site though (otherwise I'd do it). I'm sure L Ron still is in too.

Morrus doesn't seem interested in the whole thing anymore (to tell you the truth).

So I don't know.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
so if morrus is out and BM is taking a break why can't we get LRon to update the web page? Hell let's hose it somewhere else if needbe.

LRON (or anyone that can answer): What is the status of the web page getting accessed and changed? Does morrus need another reminder?

I think it's mostly that Russ has been swamped lately, so he hasn't been able to hype the project. I'm still interested, though I admit I'm pretty busy too, and it was a little disheartening to get next to no commentary on the (limited) DF fiction that appeared in Asgard.

If Russ doesn't see this thread, I'll bring up DF the next time I talk to him and see what he wants to do. We'll probably want to set the beginning of April as a date to try to draw in new blood. The problem is that all the easy stuff has been taken. If we could give away a genuine prize, like a free product, that might draw more interest, but we need to show that DF is still a project that the community can work on.

It's also a problem that, if you just come in and see the whole world, it's a little weird and overwhelming. Maybe it'd be better to shift from "topic of the week" to "location of the week." Produce a lot of interesting locales, countries, and settings, one at a time instead of trying to do a little on each culture. It's easier to get people to focus that way.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I asked for a volunteer to update the page and didn't get one - simple as that. Any rumours to the effect that someone had agreed to take that side of things on board are erroneous.

I'll repeat again - I need one (1, singular) person to volunteer to be the person to keep the site up to date. As soon as one (1, singlular) person agrees to do this then things can progress. I don't think it's too much to ask that someone does this; I have far too much work to do to be counted as a reliable person for the task these days.

I don't need "a reminder". I need a volunteer. You can remind me until you're blue in the face, but I'll still need a volunteer. Once a volunteer appears, I will be more than happy to continue supporting Daemonforge.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Morrus said:
I asked for a volunteer to update the page and didn't get one - simple as that. Any rumours to the effect that someone had agreed to take that side of things on board are erroneous.

I'll repeat again - I need one (1, singular) person to volunteer to be the person to keep the site up to date. As soon as one (1, singlular) person agrees to do this then things can progress. I don't think it's too much to ask that someone does this; I have far too much work to do to be counted as a reliable person for the task these days.

I don't need "a reminder". I need a volunteer. You can remind me until you're blue in the face, but I'll still need a volunteer. Once a volunteer appears, I will be more than happy to continue supporting Daemonforge.

A volunteer had arisen from a previous post

http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4299

and I quote:

LRonKnieval

Just to keep everyone updated, Morrus and I exchanged a couple of e-mails and what I imagine will happen is that he will add a link from the DF page to my site so I can keep the maps current. I'm guessing that he really doesn't want to give out any more access to the site than absolutely necessary. Which is fine by me. So there ya'll have my 2cents.

Is this a true statement or not? We have our volunteer to update the page and email has been exchanged. Morrus have you communicated with Lron? IF so what's the status on it.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is this a true statement or not? We have our volunteer to update the page

No, that was a volunteer to update the maps. It says nothing about the site itself. Nobody has volunteered to update the site. If they had, I'd have given them the ftp details by now and we'd be rolling.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Morrus said:

No, that was a volunteer to update the maps. It says nothing about the site itself. Nobody has volunteered to update the site. If they had, I'd have given them the ftp details by now and we'd be rolling.

AHHHH! Thank you for the reply! That clarifies things. The post seemed vague in this. I guess since noone wants to update the main page and I for one am horrible at .html we come to a standstill.

LRonKnieval

First Post
Morrus is right, I offered to run the maps section and post from my own server. I run a mac system and have concerns about cross-platforming (even using HTML )
Stop dissing Morrus, as busy as he is, he is excellent at responding to my e-mails.

My suggestion is simple, someone should be responsible for compiling and approving DF content and when it is professionally finished, (edited, etc). Then I'm sure morrus will be happy to post it.
If we were to work as a group on one specific project with a limited amout of pages and spent a good few months on it (like a real company would). We could put up a single excellent post every three months (decreasing everyones work load). I've had enough of this "the project is dead crap" and "morrus doesn't care crap". He cares... look at the volume of work the man produces for the gaming community alone on a daily basis.

We were supposed to be working on regional feats when all this other stuff came up. Everyone take a few days and come up with five then post them. By the time we have them all straighted out, approved , edited, and playtested... I'm sure morrus will be happy to post them.

Lets stop all the whining and give him something he might want to post. If I didn't know a thing about DF, all these negative posts that have been popping up lately would make me not want to even go near DF.

PS. just to show ya'll that morrus cares, I'll send him a new map to post. If he likes it, he'll post it because he's the man.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
my posts were not 'whiney' nor were they complaining. I was attempting to bring this project back inline with what needed to be done. You take the problems one by one and fix them. Once that is done that doesn't leave any margin for someone to point the finger.

The problem i saw in big bold letters was: Fix the website. Ok we still need this done. Who will do this? We get this answered and we can move on to the next issue and so forth. Find a person to update the web site and move on.

This is all constructive and a far cry from negative.

Remove ads