• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it fun to plan a heist?

Do you feel like planning a heist in an RPG is worthwhile?

• No — just skip it or give mechanical shortcuts like Flasbacks

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Sometimes — a little planning (or quick montage) goes a long way

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Yes — planning can be just as fun (if not more fun) as actually doing a heist

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
I don't enjoy uhm short-term planning. Like, best case scenario is that we play the exact same damn thing twice.

I do enjoy long-term planning, though, where you set out goals to be achieved in the future. How will we take down Lord Scurrlock? Ok, we will have to build a sparkcraft device to generate enough voltage to burn him instantly, otherwise he will just slip into another body. For that, we will need...

And handle the individual jobs themselves with flashbacks.

I was GM-ing a Nobilis adventure and at one point the group needed to steal a painting from the Metropolitan Museum in NYC. I handled planning something like this, and I paraphrase:

• Otto, the Power of Waiting: "We've seen where the painting is, in which room it is I mean."
  • Fenix, the Power of Rebirth: "Lots of surveillance cameras..."
  • Ex Nihil, the Emperor of Void: "I can erase the memories of any guards we encounter"
  • Otto: "Then I will induce latency in the security system. It will give us a couple of minutes... Before they can react. We can approach from the roof, and Fenix can climb down a rope while we deal with security."
  • Fenix: Sounds fine.
  • GM: "Ok that sounds like a plan. Fenix, you're being lowered into the room with the painting, how do you plan to get it out of here. It's too big to carry."
  • Fenix: "I cut it out with my fingernails"
Since there is basically no chance of failure and nothing could really put up a challenge anyway, I just decided to skip the bits they had planned because there would be no surprise anyway, and just get to the main attraction: The painting itself.

Being able to do this was an epiphany.

Pedantic

Legend
I don't enjoy uhm short-term planning. Like, best case scenario is that we play the exact same damn thing twice.

I do enjoy long-term planning, though, where you set out goals to be achieved in the future. How will we take down Lord Scurrlock? Ok, we will have to build a sparkcraft device to generate enough voltage to burn him instantly, otherwise he will just slip into another body. For that, we will need...

And handle the individual jobs themselves with flashbacks.
Do those need to be flashbacks? It might just be your example scenario, but those could as easily be legwork before the fact.

Remove ads