Kickstarter [KICKSTARTER] A Gary Gygax Documentary

Birmy

Adventurer
Caught a screening of this at Gamehole Con a couple of months ago (Kilbane's been showing it around at cons, at least in this region). Obviously made on a shoestring, as these things tend to go, but clearly a passion project. Nice Q&A afterwards with interviewees who were in attendance chiming in. I might pick up the DVD (blu-ray?), depending.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Caught a screening of this at Gamehole Con a couple of months ago (Kilbane's been showing it around at cons, at least in this region). Obviously made on a shoestring, as these things tend to go, but clearly a passion project. Nice Q&A afterwards with interviewees who were in attendance chiming in. I might pick up the DVD (blu-ray?), depending.
For a low-budget documentary, the production values are still quite good, especially compared to other D&D documentaries. It is much more polished than Secrets of Blackmoor, though I also backed and enjoyed that documentary. Bedsides, in a documentary, I'm less concerned about the polish than I am the substance and capturing some of this history before all the old guard pass onto to their next great adventure.

Also, I have to admit, as someone who is a child of the 70s and 80s Midwest (Minnesota and Wisconsin), this was nostalgia crack for me.

Birmy

Adventurer
For a low-budget documentary, the production values are still quite good, especially compared to other D&D documentaries. It is much more polished than Secrets of Blackmoor, though I also backed and enjoyed that documentary. Bedsides, in a documentary, I'm less concerned about the polish than I am the substance and capturing some of this history before all the old guard pass onto to their next great adventure.

Also, I have to admit, as someone who is a child of the 70s and 80s Midwest (Minnesota and Wisconsin), this was nostalgia crack for me.
I'm not at all knocking the budget limitations. I'm all for indie fillmmakers going for it with the resources they have available (remind me to tell you about the low-budget horror movie my friends and I made NO WAIT DON'T). I was definitely aware of the production limitations here, but it's well put together for all that. Part of me does wish that these first-hand accounts would get more formal documentation than ancient blog and message board posts and non-professional recording, though. Get The American Experience on these guys!

I haven't seen Secrets of Blackmoor, though one of these convnentions I'll actually make a screening. On first blush, it definitely looks creakier than The Dreams in Gary's Basement, plus it appears to have had quite the Kickstarter troubles (is there ever not?). I'll get around to it eventually, at any rate.

As a man of a certain age who lives minutes away from Lake Geneva, you're preaching to the choir on that "nostalgia crack" stuff. The talking heads in the movie acting like I live on a farm and/or Siberia had me chuckling.

Remove ads