• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Killer doll *my players stay out of this one*

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
I'm thinking of creating a creepy quest. And I need a killing-doll (something actually creepy, not like Chucky). The doll would feed on souls and hunt only during night time. I'm still thinking how to get it into the story.

how can I create such a thing? an animated object with some lvls of souleater?

the doll will be carried around by several kids. and it will kill its owner after absorbing a couple of souls. the players will have to investigate the kills, hopefully I can make'em figure out the main plot.

any ideas? I'll post more details tomorrow. right now, I must hit a nap attack

Use a Golem... GolemCraft 101, small pdf available here on EnWorld, has the stats for doll golems :)

Use either levels of souleater or a special Kyber dragonshard that traps souls, this gives the PCs something they can recover from the golem and attempt to restore the souls to their proper places...

As the question is sure to come up...what happens when you lose your soul?

In my HR set of what makes a character, I tie the soul to alignment, WIS and XP. The loss of a soul changes the character to True Nuetral, reduces WIS to 1, and they cannot access {lose, gain, etc..} any XP {or actoin points}. In roleplaying terms they become listless and un-motivated, tending to repeat monotonous tasks in a standard routine.

Chimera

First Post
Option: Ignore pre-established methods of creating this. Just establish the stats you want and go from there.

The doll could be a Spectre (or other undead level draining creature) that got lured into the doll, or magically forced into it, with the intention that it would be trapped there forever. However, it managed to animate the doll through long-term level draining or magic, or whatever. HOW is less important than you think, unless you plan to have that be an important part of undoing the process.

It talks to and helps the child who 'owns' it, but in very evil twisted ways, slowly manipulating the child to be a seemingly innocent but actually viciously evil little monster. The doll kills only people who are "mean" to the child, thus reinforcing that it is the child's friend and protector.

Another, even more creepy option is that the Doll is only a projection, being animated by the will of the real monster, the child! Sort of a split personality thing, not completely unlike Scarface in Batman the Animated Series. The child acts and thinks of itself as an innocent, and will detect so to all practical magic. While the doll goes on a murderous rampage, again doing the "I'm your friend" thing to the child. HOWEVER, once the doll is "killed" (and the child learns that this is so), the mind of the child snaps as that 'murderous projection'/alternate personality comes home to roost.

The players are then left with a sadistically evil homicidal monster...of a 5 year old child.

And not just a Commoner 1 (or 1/2) child either, but one boosted by all that level draining or soul theft, however you want to work it out.

smootrk

First Post
You could simply start with animated object for stats. Look also in Fiendish Codex 1, for demon possesion (objects, people, etc). Maybe you can get ideas from that as well.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'd probably use a Flesh Golem, shrunk down to Small or even Tiny size. I'm sure it would tick off any player who thought all they'd need to do was break the doll...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads