• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LAwful Bards

trentonjoe

Explorer
I have a dwarven fighter who is a devoted follower of the Dwarven god Clannegon Silverbeard. In previous editions (I have playing this guy since 1st edition) he had certain abilities that were very similar to 3E bardic songs. I would like to take a couple levels of Bard with this guy but he is Lawful. The rules say that Bards must not be lawful.

Here is my question:

Would it be "bad" to break the rules and become a lawful bard?

or

Should I create a PrC that circumvents the rules and just give him specific abilities?

All input welcome!

ogre

First Post
I would say the PrC is the way to go. Mostly since he is probably pretty high level and that way you can customize his abilities rather than comprimise them by being a std bard.
With that said; I think the Lawful mandate on Bards and is purely a RPing aspect and not at all about balance: as could be said about Paladins and to some extent about Monks. hmmm, I must be biased, since I view "having to be Lawful' as being a retriction, but 'having to be chaotic' as being a mere RPing thing. heh. ;-)

Voadam

Legend
the pdf enchiridion of mystic music has bardic prestige classes that do not require bard as a prereq and a system for picking up bardic abilities if you have any class or PRC with bardic type abilities. Essentially it is training with a teacher and spending 100 xp per perform rank prereq to get the abilities.

The core classes are supposedly balanced mechanically without the roleplaying and alignment requirements so using them or taking them out is a campaign flavor decision.

Remove ads