Lawful Good, incorporeal Pit fiend

Taloras

First Post
Sanctified template trades out its evil abilities for some good aligned ones (DR and spell like abilities usually). It gains some other stuff(I cant recall exactly what though)

The Souljourner

First Post
Personally, I think a Lawful Good Pit fiend should not exist. Pit Fiends aren't just evil... they're [Evil], the very incarnation of Evil. Is a pit fiend evil? Is water wet? You shouldn't be able to redeem a pit fiend - it's not a human with morales and forgiveness, it can't be sorry, it can't feel remorse. Pit Fiends can no more be Lawful Good than an elephant can fly. It's just impossible.

That, and over elaborate character designs like this always seem way too far fetched. I mean... being guided by a good spirit, sure, cool. But why does it have to be a redeemed pit fiend? Why not just a good spirit of some sort? And if you really want her to register as minor evil (which, I admit, would be kinda cool), why not *really* have it be because of all the evil spells she's been the target of?

As for the stats... why do you need them? The pit fiend is incorporeal and can only influence her subtly, right?

-The Souljourner

danzig138

Explorer
The Souljourner said:
Personally, I think a Lawful Good Pit fiend should not exist. Pit Fiends can no more be Lawful Good than an elephant can fly. It's just impossible.
I personally have no problem with a LG Pit Fiend. If an Angel can fall, a Devil can rise as far as I'm concerned. Even under the "always" alignment entry, it says that individuals can be of different alignments, but they are rare or unique. So should LG Pit Fiends be common? Probably not. Impossible? No. And I don't think it would be very hard to make an elephant fly in D&D. :D

glass

(he, him)
Thanee said:
Heh. There's actually a rule in the MM, which makes climbing pretty hard for them. ;)
I was refering to the old internet conceit about dire elephants having a climb speed. I must admit, I'd never bothered to check if it was true.

glass.

UltimaGabe

First Post
The Souljourner said:
Personally, I think a Lawful Good Pit fiend should not exist. Pit Fiends aren't just evil... they're [Evil], the very incarnation of Evil. Is a pit fiend evil? Is water wet? You shouldn't be able to redeem a pit fiend - it's not a human with morales and forgiveness, it can't be sorry, it can't feel remorse. Pit Fiends can no more be Lawful Good than an elephant can fly. It's just impossible.

It's very funny that you mention elephants flying- because, in D&D, it's possible. That's the thing- in D&D. All sorts of creatures are evil- as danzig138 said, if Angels, the embodiment of Good, can fall, why can't a Pit Fiend rise? There's nothing stopping a Paladin Balor (or a Paladin Succubus, as shown on Wizards.com), so why a Lawful Good Pit Fiend?

kirinke

First Post
And the BOED has a rather neat template to further this as shown above. Sanctified creature and the text does mention demons and devils being redeemed. So it is possible. Just highly unlikely in most cases.

In this case, the demon was imprisioned for at least thousands of years. All he could do was contemplate and think. During that time, he'd go through all the range of emotion. Hatred, anger, rage, madness and back again to sanity. I mean, it takes alot of energy to hate. He probably just got tired of being evil. That is one possiblity too.

Taloras

First Post
Yea. It says its applied to creatures recieving a Sanctify the Wicked spell, but since your the DM, you can ignore that line and simply apply it to a risen Pit Fiend. :D Its a pretty nice little template. ;)

kirinke

First Post
lol. I'm not the dm. But he did let this character concept in. I'm just trying to figure out the mechanics of it. :)

And while he is lawful good, I want him to still have the demonic template, at least for a while. At some point in the future, he will probably have the chance of acquring the sanctifed template. Right now, he's getting practical experience in being good. And there probably is no better way than learning the in's and out of being good than being a 'passenger' inside a chaotic good aasimar. I mean, there is a difference verses the law/chaos axis. But the girl truly has a good heart.

Last edited:

Remove ads