• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Learning Pathfinder: What are the key books to read

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I would probably finish the campaign you are running now in 4e regardless, because it isn't really easy to adapt characters to PF. Unless they managed a TtPK and all need new ones anyway.

Perram

Explorer
The most important book for understanding Pathfinder is the Inner Sea World Guide. The PDF is only $10, and worth it if you rather not invest the full cost of the hardcover. There is a player-focused version called the Inner Sea Primer, but the full guide really is the most useful tool to understanding the flavor of their world. The key to understanding it is that it is a kitchen sink setting, but very well tied together. Every influence has a source in either earth's history or mythology, and also a heavy dash of early sci-fi and fantasy pulp novels.

Checking out the Wiki can help as well, read the sections on the Pathfinder Society, Cheliax, Almas, Taldor, and Varisia. I'd also recommend a quick glance at the gods.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
I would probably finish the campaign you are running now in 4e regardless, because it isn't really easy to adapt characters to PF. Unless they managed a TtPK and all need new ones anyway.

Strongly agree - converting a high level (9th/10th) game to a different ruleset hardly ever works IME. I just saw another GM at the Meetup's campaign fail after he converted 4e>Pathfinder, and I've lost a couple myself likewise.

If you want to run Pathfinder, then start a new campaign with the Beginner Box, possibly with new players. Don't try to force your current players to convert their ongoing PCs 4e>PF unless they are really keen on the idea. If keeping your current players is the main thing, then continue with the game they're enjoying.

Remove ads