Pathfinder 2E Less Opportunity Attacks

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Maybe a better way to prevent moving out of melee is to say you can only safely move away 15ft. That allows some leeway in shifting around but you won't catch a squishy backline character provided he's a normal distance away?

Maybe that and add the ability to push your opponent backwards on every successful attack.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Maybe a better way to prevent moving out of melee is to say you can only safely move away 15ft. That allows some leeway in shifting around but you won't catch a squishy backline character provided he's a normal distance away?

Maybe that and add the ability to push your opponent backwards on every successful attack.

I've been thinking about limiting damage from OAs to 1d6......of course, every house rule has unintended consequences.....

CapnZapp

Legend
I've been thinking about limiting damage from OAs to 1d6......of course, every house rule has unintended consequences.....
I didn't think this discussion would lead you to see attacks of opportunity as a problem in need of a solution.

I find movement in 5E to be generous and encouraged. That is, I don't see a need to remove or tone down attacks of opportunity. Plus, as has been pointed out, as soon as you leave the lowest levels, the fact you might take damage from an attack of opportunity hardly prevents a fighter hero from moving to where she needs to be. (And let's remember, you can do quite a lot of maneuvering around a monster without triggering its attack of opportunity anyways)

Contrast two other games...:
  • In 3rd Edition, you were denied your full attack suite if you moved more than 5 ft during your turn. Arguably attacks of opportunity weren't as needed there, since the cost of leaving your current target was so high. By running up to a monster, you basically made it fight you rather than something else. Not because of your attack of opportunity, but because of the differential in damage potential. (Delivering LOTS of damage to the fighter; or run to the Wizard to deal LITTLE damage?)
  • In Pathfinder 2, attacks of opportunity is a specialized skill. It is not common. Most monsters and NPCs don't have it. Even heroes that do get it often face restrictions (such as the Barbarian having to rage or the Ranger having to mark). Only Fighters (and Fightery monsters) get the full, unconditional, attack of opportunity. This means the GM is encouraged to have monsters not expect attacks of opportunity and to be "surprised" when the heroes have and use them. More to the point: since movement isn't free (like in 5E) that lessens the need for attacks of opportunity.

I guess my point is that out of all editions of D&D, the one I would remove attacks of opportunity from last, would be 5th Edition :)

Remove ads