Level Adjustment (Cohort)

Iku Rex

Explorer
werk said:
The rules are usually vague when it comes down to very fine points like this. I guess you are saying that anything with an LA (cohort) can be a cohort or a PC...sure, why not? Why does it matter/What's the problem?
This is the rules board. We discuss the rules of the game. Why are you even here if you think that's such a pointless exercise?

werk said:
I also read a lot of confrontational tone into your posts...please remember, ENWorld didn't write this stuff, we're helpers, like you? If you are angry, write CS.
I'm fairly certain ENWorld, or more specifically ENWorld members, wrote most of what I've been "confrontational" about.

Do you really think WotC CS will care if I complain about "what Infiniti2000 said on ENWorld's message boards"? :eek:

werk

First Post
Iku Rex said:
This is the rules board. We discuss the rules of the game. Why are you even here if you think that's such a pointless exercise?
Thanks for answering my question. Again, Why does it matter which way you interpret the (cohort) notation? What affect does it have on the game?
I'm fairly certain ENWorld, or more specifically ENWorld members, wrote most of what I've been "confrontational" about.

Do you really think WotC CS will care if I complain about "what Infiniti2000 said on ENWorld's message boards"? :eek:
I think they might care about as much as we do ;)

The effect is that Iku Rex likes to find some aspect of the rules that are slightly unclear, come here, demand an explanation, and gets very rude when that explanation doesn't meet his standards. He does it every couple of weeks.

Iku Rex

Explorer
werk said:
Why does it matter which way you interpret the (cohort) notation? What affect does it have on the game?
Uh, it affects whether or not, based on the published rules, a given monster is "suitable" for use as a PC.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
The effect is that Iku Rex likes to find some aspect of the rules that are slightly unclear, come here, demand an explanation, and gets very rude when that explanation doesn't meet his standards. He does it every couple of weeks.
You're lying.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Okay, stop you two. Be nice to each other or put one another on ignore, but this isn't the place for squabbling; that won't be permitted.

Please feel free to email me if this is somehow a problem. In the mean time, no more discussion about who said or did what -- let's get the thread refocused!

Many thanks.

atom crash

First Post
Uh, it affects whether or not, based on the published rules, a given monster is "suitable" for use as a PC.

maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought whether or not something was suitable as a PC really depends on an agreement between the DM and player. with the right DM and the right campaign, you might be able to convince him or her to let you play a shambling mound paladin or a gelatinous cube rogue. i wouldn't allow it, but someone else might, and good for them.

on the other hand, the rules might point out that a bugbear is a suitable race for a PC, but I wouldn't allow that in my game either. and quoting rules isn't likely to change my mind, except on whether or not i really want that player in my game. regardless of what the MM says, a bugbear PC just doesn't fit in the campaign I want to run.

i've always assumed the (cohort) tag to mean "hey, this creature would make a decent cohort and here's the level adjustment for it."

werk

First Post
atom crash said:
maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought whether or not something was suitable as a PC really depends on an agreement between the DM and player.

That was my point. The LA is there, I think that's all the really matters mechanics-wise IMO.

Diirk

First Post
Iku Rex said:
You disagree that "when a creature has a LA: x , its pretty clear that the LA is applied to the creature when it is a player character"? Probably not.

What you're disagreeing with is the conclusion, which I've already pointed out doesn't match the rules. That was the point.

No, I'm disagreeing that your rewording is the same logic as my original wording. It is in fact very different. Now while you may be very correct in saying that nowhere in the rules does it explicitly say that a "LA: x (cohort)" means that the creature is much more suitable as a cohort than as a player character, but honestly, what else would it mean ? That (cohort) isn't there just for the hell of it, and if you don't like the fact that whoever designed Petals or whatever doesn't think they make a good player race then speak nicely to your DM.

Remove ads