• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Li and Sketos' Fingernail

Macbeth

First Post
Here's what I THINK Sketos' crystal fingernail may be:

Crystal of:
-Amplifying
-Lightening
-Memory
-Power
-Psychic Beacon
-Recovery
-Scrying
-Sensing
-Shielding
-Storage

Or Just a Crystal.

So Li's going to do some experimenting. :)

First, Li will meditate and try to mentally explore the crystal, using the Mental Contact skill, which can be used untrained. Li has +1 from his Cha bonus. He will particularly look for:

-Anything he can get out of the crystal with Mental Contact (if he gets something out, it a Memory Crystal)
-The Crystal Glowing (which would indicate a Sensing Crystal)
-Reduced Strain from using Mental Contact (indicating a Power Crystal or Storage Crystal)
-Faster Recovery from strain (indicating a Recovery Crystal)

If he doesn't observe anything from Mental Contact, he will try Enhance Ability on himself. He will try to notice:

-If the results of the Enhance Ability check are better then expected (indicating an Amplifying Crystal)

Li will also take note if he feels lighter then usual (unlikely, but that would indicate a Lightening Crystal)

And I think that's it. If none of those tests indicate a power, Li will be out of ideas.

And, from a roleplaying point of view, I figure this is something Li would do. he woudn't view the results the way I do, but using Mental Contact to try to identify it, then using Enhance Ability to see if it increases his mental prowess is completely reasonable.

BSF

Explorer
Heheh - Fair enough. I suppose one could argue that appropriate Knowledge skills would be required to figure much out, but unless there is some other Psychic equivelant to Identify, I see no reason to make it that hard. Now, if the crystal is not Psychic, but is magical or psionic, this might be a tad more difficult. Of course, it could just be a piece of crystal. It's hard to say right?

I'll probably cover your results on Friday night. :)

Macbeth

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
Heheh - Fair enough. I suppose one could argue that appropriate Knowledge skills would be required to figure much out, but unless there is some other Psychic equivelant to Identify, I see no reason to make it that hard. Now, if the crystal is not Psychic, but is magical or psionic, this might be a tad more difficult. Of course, it could just be a piece of crystal. It's hard to say right?

I'll probably cover your results on Friday night. :)
Yeah, I basically assume Li would use Mental Conact as a basic way of exmaining the crystal, then Enhance Ability to see if it improves his prowess, and if anything odd happens, he'll try to make sense of it.

BSF

Explorer
Whoa - I completel blew this one last night. Dang! OK, I will run through the basics now. First, the metagame stuff:

While Mental Contact can be used Untrained, it still requires Telepathy as a feat. This makes it a little unclear. Is Telepathy required to use Mental Contact, or just to take ranks in it? Green Ronin's forums are down right now, so let's assume you can use Mental Contact untrained and we can search for clarification later.

While meditating, Li opens his mind and tries to explore the depths of the small crystal that came off in his hand when he shook hands with Sketos. It take several moments before he feels his awareness drawn into the tiny crystal. There is a low throb and the faintest hint of something opening before him, but the opportunity slips before he can seize it. Whether through hesitation or a lack of understanding, he cannot find a way to probe any deeper. A moment later, his mind slides out of the crsytal and the only throb he can hear is the blood coursing through his body.

Remove ads