• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for app for slow map reveal

Tobold

Explorer
I am looking for an app on iOS or Android which would allow me to show my players at the table the parts of the dungeon that they have already seen, but keep a fog of war on the rest of the dungeon. Example can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqs2iUqNKg4 but this was done on a PC, and I would like a version for a tablet.

I searched and found apps like Battle Map 2 or RPG Cartographer, but those are for creating maps. And of course there is a bunch of software for Virtual Table Tops. But what I am looking for is much simpler: I want to use the original maps from a published adventure, have a black fog of war layer on top of them, and be able to remove that layer by drawing my fingers over the screen.

Any suggestions?

SunGold

First Post
On Android, you could do exactly what the guy in the video is doing, no app required.

Open your map in the standard Gallery viewer, select Edit, then Draw. Choose biggest brush, draw black over the whole image. Then switch to eraser, pick a size to fit the tunnels or whatnot, and erase as they go. Easy peasy.

Tobold

Explorer
Apparently different tablets have different versions of the Gallery app. Mine doesn't have "Draw" as an option. However I did manage to achieve the same effect with the app Paper on iOS.

Remove ads