D&D 5E lv. 12 Arcane Cleric, multiclass or not?

Delicate Swarm

First Post
So I've been pretty excited to try out the Arcane Cleric, and this is what I want to do:

Variant Human:12 Str, 14 Dex, 14 Con, 16 Wis, 10 Int, 8 Cha

Cleric:Arcane Domain(Greenflame Blade, Chill Touch)

Feat:Magic Initiate Druid(Goodberry, Shillelagh,Resistance)

Outlander Background
Skills:
Insight, Religion, Arcana, Athletics, Survival, Perception

Starting at level 12

At lv. 4 ill probably take +2 Wis and at lv. 8 a feat (Warcaster?)

The question is, do I just go pure cleric, or multiclass? One option I was highly considering is 3 levels of Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster. These would give me more Wizardry without having to go INT. EK gets shield and absorb elements for better defense, and trickster gets mainly utility. Both can get Find Familiar as their extra spell. Clerics get lots of touch spells that can be delivered. 100 foot range on heals.

Alternatively I could just go Cleric 12. Could still get a familiar with the Ritual Caster feat(would need 13 int though). Don't know if that's worth it though.

mellored

Legend
Cleric 11 is enough to fullfill what a cleric is expected to do. Mainly keep people alive. What else do you want to do beyond that?

EK / AT will increase damage, though shield and arcane absorption compete's with bless.

Delicate Swarm

First Post
In what way does shield compete with Bless? Its not concentration.

I guess I want to be able to do lots of things. I realized that Ritual caster wouldn't actually require higher INT, so that's still a thought. (Plus I like it thematically)

If I went AT, i could get expertise in Athletics and be a decent grappler. Clerics get several spells that synergize well with grappling, so that route may actually end up with higher damage output than the Fighter, while also having more out of combat options.

mellored

Legend
In what way does shield compete with Bless? Its not concentration.
It's spell slots. Unless you plan on using a higher level concentration spell and dropping bless.

How useful bless is depends on your party.

I guess I want to be able to do lots of things. I realized that Ritual caster wouldn't actually require higher INT, so that's still a thought. (Plus I like it thematically)
It's a good option to boost your utility.

If I went AT, i could get expertise in Athletics and be a decent grappler. Clerics get several spells that synergize well with grappling, so that route may actually end up with higher damage output than the Fighter, while also having more out of combat options.
Zone spells work well with grapple.

Delicate Swarm

First Post
If I go with Rogue, do you think its worth taking Booming Blade over GFB (or in addition to)? Cunning action Disengage goes well with it.

I can hold them in place or kite them around.

Cleric 9/Arcane Trickster 3

Variant Human:12 Str, 14 Dex, 14 Con, 18 Wis, 10 Int, 8 Cha

Cleric:Arcane Domain(Greenflame Blade, Booming Blade)

Feats/ASI:
Human:Magic Initiate Druid(Goodberry, Shillelagh, Resistance)
lv. 4: +2 Wis
lv. 8: Ritual Caster

Outlander Background
Skills:
Insight, Religion, Arcana, Athletics, Survival, Perception

Cleric Cantrips: Guidance, Light, Sacred Flame, Thaumaturgy

AT Cantrips: Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Blade Ward(Can't think of anything better)

AT Spells: Charm Person, Silent Image, Shield

Expertise: Athletics and Perception

Last edited:

Remove ads