Magic Item Question

Caliber

Explorer
The Sorceror in my group wanted to know whats the difference with Craft Wondourous Items and pretty much any other item.

I told him only Wands and Staves could store spells.

When it came to Rings and Rods though I found I couldn't offer much of a difference.

So ... what is the difference between Rings, Rods, and Wondourous Items? What could I create with Craft Wondorous that I couldn't with Forge Ring or Craft Rod (and vice versa)?

Feel free to correct me about Wands and Staves too. :D

Arkham

First Post
For Wonderous Items, form must follow Function, for the most
part. i.e. Things that make you fly need wings, or be a carpet,
or broom, or other flying-style shape.

( Personally I think they should have made Forge Ring as
Craft Jewelry instead, so that it could cover Amulets and such
which seem to be able to have any old thing in them. )

But Rings can do _anything_. There is not a spell that you cannot
put in a ring, or an effect that you cannot put in a ring. ( Unless
you want something physically _big_ but that is different. ) And
if a wizard takes useful feats at 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 9th, she will
only need to blow one feat to make every magic item she will
need. ( All in one little ring... )

As for Rods, I don't know... They seem like a wasted feat.
<houserule>I would remove the requirement for Craft Magic
Arms and Armor for the rods that function as maces or whatever.
</houserule>

Hecatæus

First Post
Another difference is that rings, rods, and staves are tougher than simple Wonderous items. The later are more likely to go POOF when attacked or affected by fireballs and such.

This is due in part to the masterwork requirements for rings...not sure at this moment for the rods and such.

I would extend that any magic item created from a Masterwork item would be tougher anyway.

I too would include masterwork jewelry under rings allowing them versatility and survivability not afforded to wonderous items.

dcollins

Explorer
Caliber said:
So ... what is the difference between Rings, Rods, and Wondourous Items? What could I create with Craft Wondorous that I couldn't with Forge Ring or Craft Rod (and vice versa)?

The simplest way to solve this question is to simply not allow any player-invented "new magic items" to be designed. Then, the difference is simply whatever is listed in the core rules (DMG).

If you remove this natural restriction, then you need to make up the answer as the DM yourself. Some folks have managed to draw implications from what's listed in the DMG -- I haven't bothered to do so yet, myself.

Remove ads