• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Makeing new Duergar Ranger

Killoth

First Post
so what should my stats and skills be for a duerager beastmaster ranger. Im bad at choosing what spells and skills I should have and Im not sure how to do the point buy system. if any one could help me choose the best spells and stats to make this. Im at level 3 and trying out the ranger class. I like the idea of having a pet.I would like him to be more of a heavy weapon fighter with the pet flanking. Iam not sure what skills I should be proficient in or what to set as my modifiers. going with the urban bounty hunter background

Last edited:

Kithas

First Post
First thing that comes to mind is that sadly the Ranger does not get the Great weapon fighting style, a one-level dip into fighter will get you this, and you can take Defensive from Ranger for some ac goodness. This also gives you Con saves and Heavy armor, both very important things for a str user.

Anyways p.13 of the phb explains the point-buy system better than I can here so give it a read. As far as what to invest in, Con/Str/Wis in that order would be my recommendation. Being a front-line unit you will need all the survivability you can get and your hp is the first place to go for that, also Ensnaring strike/Hunter's mark are your best friends and they require concentration which means Con saves. After that str is your main source of damage so that is a priority. Then wisdom, this makes your spell save DC, you want it to be hard to get out of Ensnaring strike basically. I don't recall Duerger's Sub-race traits but I know they get a +2 to Con which will help you a Lot.
My recommendation for your stats
15 Str
8 Dex
15(17 racial) Con
8 Int
15 Wis
8 Cha

If the 8's scare you;
14 Str
10 Dex
14 (16) Con
10 Int
14 Wis
10 Cha

The main difference is that at your first ASI with the 8's you will be able to nab a 16 str and an 18 con at the same time, whereas with the 10's that will take you 2 ASI's.

As far as skills it is really up to you. I would advise Athletics and Perception. Shoving/grappling are athletics and Perception is always useful.

I hope that helped!

Super Bonus Alternate Build;
If you decide to go 1 in fighter you could also just go 3 in fighter and the rest Ranger. Picking Battle Master would give you a lot of cool options to help your pet attack too. Commander's strike can let him get a second swing in off-turn, Trip attack gives you both advantage, Distracting strike gives your pet advantage, and So-on.

Killoth

First Post
First thing that comes to mind is that sadly the Ranger does not get the Great weapon fighting style, a one-level dip into fighter will get you this, and you can take Defensive from Ranger for some ac goodness. This also gives you Con saves and Heavy armor, both very important things for a str user.

Anyways p.13 of the phb explains the point-buy system better than I can here so give it a read. As far as what to invest in, Con/Str/Wis in that order would be my recommendation. Being a front-line unit you will need all the survivability you can get and your hp is the first place to go for that, also Ensnaring strike/Hunter's mark are your best friends and they require concentration which means Con saves. After that str is your main source of damage so that is a priority. Then wisdom, this makes your spell save DC, you want it to be hard to get out of Ensnaring strike basically. I don't recall Duerger's Sub-race traits but I know they get a +2 to Con which will help you a Lot.
My recommendation for your stats
15 Str
8 Dex
15(17 racial) Con
8 Int
15 Wis
8 Cha

If the 8's scare you;
14 Str
10 Dex
14 (16) Con
10 Int
14 Wis
10 Cha

The main difference is that at your first ASI with the 8's you will be able to nab a 16 str and an 18 con at the same time, whereas with the 10's that will take you 2 ASI's.

As far as skills it is really up to you. I would advise Athletics and Perception. Shoving/grappling are athletics and Perception is always useful.

I hope that helped!

Super Bonus Alternate Build;
If you decide to go 1 in fighter you could also just go 3 in fighter and the rest Ranger. Picking Battle Master would give you a lot of cool options to help your pet attack too. Commander's strike can let him get a second swing in off-turn, Trip attack gives you both advantage, Distracting strike gives your pet advantage, and So-on.
I was thinking about taking 3 levels in barbarian to get the battlerager and wear spike armor but the fighter might be a good idea. how dose multiclassing work. do I have to take three levels in that class or do I just get the skills that I would get at the same level Im going into

mellored

Legend
your going to need to be careful with multiclassing since pets are not that tough to begin with and only get extra HP with ranger levels.

sentinal feat can help protect your pet, as can some protective spells.

but yes, you need to take 3 levels of fighter to get battle master skills.

Kithas

First Post
I was thinking about taking 3 levels in barbarian to get the battlerager and wear spike armor but the fighter might be a good idea. how dose multiclassing work. do I have to take three levels in that class or do I just get the skills that I would get at the same level Im going into

You get what you would normally get at that level in the class features. So if you went Lvl 2 Ranger, then lvl 1 fighter you would get second wind, Fighting style, and the health/hit die from a fighter level(1d10+con). You do not get the level one bonuses or proficiency's. For that example you would not gain heavy armor proficiency or get the level one 10+con health, or any skills. In the Customization section of the phb it goes over what you get, and what is required for multiclassing.
That is why I said starting in fighter would be good for you. You would then get Con saves instead of Dex, and Heavy armor Proficiency.

Remove ads