Meet Our Columnists: M.T. Black

This the latest interview in a series covering our EN World columnists. In this article I interview the highly prolific M.T. Black!

This is the latest in a series of interviews of our EN World Columnists. In this installment I interview the highly prolific M.T. Black!

profile_pic (002).jpg

Michael Tresca (MT): Tell us a little about who you are and what you do.
M.T. Black (MTB):
I'm M.T. Black, an Australian game designer with a focus on D&D Fifth Edition. For the past 5 years, I've been publishing a monthly article called Dragon Reflections, reviews old issues of Dragon, arguably the most significant magazine ever published in the RPG industry. There's a healthy dose of nostalgia in this, sure, but myself and many others have found this exploration of the past both compelling and valuable. I could not count the number of ideas I've plundered from these old issues, and it has profoundly influenced how I play.

MT: What's next for your column?
MTB:
We are currently looking at issues numbering in the #70s. There are some really classic articles coming up, such as Ed Greenwood's articles on the Nine Hells and Roger Moore's ecology of the Mind Flayer. There's lots of material you can use in your games today.

MT: Are there any interviews or product reviews you're looking forward to covering?
MTB:
Issue #80 has an article by Katharine Kerr on running a castle. All of her pieces are good, but this one is especially well regarded. I look forward to reviewing that, especially in light of the recent 5E bastion rules.

MT: What games are you planning to play this year?
MTB:
I'll be playing a lot of Fifth Edition D&D, as per usual. I have a regular campaign in my World of Iskandar setting and it has been great fun. Later this year, I hope to start up a fortnightly open/online 5E game following either a west marches model or set in a megadungeon. I'll also be running my "World War Weird Hack" game at conventions, and might even finally release it! I want to play the Black Hack in some other genres as well, as its become my go-to system for rules light stuff.

MT: If your work is published anywhere else, where can we find you?
MTB:
My books are available on DriveThruRPG and the DMs Guild.I also publish regular material on my blog. And I have a weekly newsletter that contains lots of tips, tricks, and other D&D freebies.

MT: What is your relevant social media and where can fans follow you?
MTB:
You can often find me on the EN World forums these days. I am also on Twitter. I have a few other social media accounts but I rarely use them.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads