mention tag says "mearls", but displays as "Morrus"

CapnZapp

Legend
Is "mentions" explained anywhere on the site? (Googled "mention enworld" but found only this thread)

After experimenting this is my findings (per september 2015):

The button to wrap a username in MENTION tags doesn't work, since the tag needs a user id, which isn't included. I assume user id 0 is Morrus, since I suspect MENTION tags default to zero when not supplied. You get the above behavior when MENTION tags are used without manually inserting a uid (which isn't trivial to find).

That is, the difference between {MENTION}Wrappa{/MENTION} and {MENTION=1234}Wrappa{/MENTION}

Of course with curly brackets switched out for square ones.

The first use case is useless, making the button in advanced edit useless.

However, the at sign (@) works correctly. But not while still in preview.

That is, @ Wrappa would have worked if a) I removed the space between at sign and username and b) Wrappa wasn't just an example that doesn't exist ;)

The magic that switches out the at sign for proper mention tags (including the correct uid) only happens when you commit to actually posting your text. So you can't use preview to check if things will work.

Please update any help pages with this information. Thanks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Wow, that's some 6-year thread necromancy. I can't quite parse most of what that post is saying, unfortunately. Mentions are in the FAQ here.

To mention someone, just put @ in front of their name. Like this, @CapnZapp.

And why do I always feel like you're issuing me orders?

Last edited:

Remove ads