• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

mobile Glyph of Warding?

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Ok, I've been waiting and waiting for the old boards to be brought back but I give up, so I'm asking this question again (since I can't read the answers posted previously).:

Can you place a Glyph of Warding on an object that moves?

If so, can you place it on creature (or maybe a creatures armor?) such that it goes off if someone touches that creature?

This powerful inscription harms those who enter, pass, or open the warded area or object. A glyph can guard a bridge or passage, ward a portal, trap a chest or box, and so on.

The character set the conditions of the ward. Typically, any creature violating the warded area without speaking a pas phrase
(which the character set when casting the spell) is subject to the magic it stores. Glyphs can be set according to physical characteristics (such as height or weight) or creature type, subtype, or species (such as "drow" or "aberration"). Glyphs can also be set with respect to
good, evil, law, or chaos, or to pass those of the character's religion. They cannot be set according to class, HD, or level. Glyphs respond to invisible creatures normally but are not triggered by those who travel past them ethereally. Multiple glyphs cannot be cast on the same area. However, if a cabinet had three drawers, each could be separately warded.

When casting the spell, the character weaves a tracery of faintly glowing lines around the warding sigil. The glyph can be placed to conform to any shape up to the limitations of the character's total square footage. When the spell is completed, the glyph and tracery become nearly invisible

Madfox

First Post
If you carefully read the quote you will notice that it talks about 'passing into/through an area' and 'opening an object'. I interpret this as it either can be placed on an area, in which case passing near the glyph sets it of, but it is NOT mobile. Or it can be cast on an object, in which case it only is discharged when the object is opened, but the object can be mobile then. Hence, casting it on your armour or shield as a way to neutralize opponents is IMO impossible. Besides, even if a DM would allow it, it would not be very smart to do anyway. If I remember correctly a glyph effects everything within 5 ft of it. While it will not damage the object it is cast on, that does not include the person wearing the suit of armour. I definitely would not let touch be a trigger.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Hmm, you'd allow a mobile "if opened" ward? How about a glass bottle (greater) warded with Slay Living? You throw the bottle at the enemy, it shatters (opens) and WHAM! Is this an abuse, or an easy, if expensive, way to add range to your touch spells?

And when the spell description says "All saving throws operate as normal" does that mean normal for a magic item (where the caster's Wisdom is assumed to be the minimum possible) or does it mean normal as if the caster (with his real wisdom) just dropped the spell there?

With regards to putting a Glyph on a creature, I agree with touch not being an allowed trigger, but it seems someone could argue that a ward on a creature was warding the area very near to it (like a inch away from the skin) to achieve the same effect. I assume that an open doorway could be warded, with the ward around the frame covering the open air between. That does not seem much different.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Xahn'Tyr said:
Hmm, you'd allow a mobile "if opened" ward? How about a glass bottle (greater) warded with Slay Living? You throw the bottle at the enemy, it shatters (opens) and WHAM! Is this an abuse, or an easy, if expensive, way to add range to your touch spells?

This very question came up in my group this week. I ruled that this wouldn't work since the enemy was not willingly opening the container that was warded. No ward grenades in my campaign.

But I don't have a problem with it being placed on a mobile object like a chest or a spellbook.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Remember that it's a spell granted by the gods, and the gods do not look kindly on their servants trying to find loopholes in the miracles they're granted.

The intent of the spell is to ward areas from violation. Surely if anyone has violated a glass bottle (My Life as a Dog?), it's the person who threw it, not the person standing nearby.

I had exactly this conversation with one of my players. Once I reminded him about Gods not liking munchkin servants, he laughed and conceded that it was a stretch.

Daniel

Oracular Vision

First Post
Glyph usage

I can see this used to seal a book you are carrying, or a chest, and you have to tell the party the word, or they will set it off (similar to many boobytraps in the Paranoia game world that end up damaging your party...)

:cool:

Remove ads