My team is creating a cyberpunk RPG, and I've started a video series to journal the process.

sominator

Explorer
Hi everyone!

My team is in the process of developing a d20 TTRPG based on my novel series, and we're continually learning about the ins-and-outs of game development.

I thought it might be interesting to document the process in a video series, both to provide insight about our successes/challenges and encourage conversation about other experiences designers might face.

Here's the link. Feedback welcome!

More info on me: I'm an author and digital marketing manager in the video games industry, and former community manager for games like Neverwinter and Mass Effect: Andromeda. I recently started a YouTube channel to discuss things like writing, DMing, and games in general, and am working - with the help of some very creative team members - to create a new d20 cyberpunk TTRPG.

Josiah Stoll

First Post
You mentioned that you worked as a professor, can I ask what you taught?
Also, how does your game shape up in comparison to games like Shadowrun, Eclipse Phase, or the various Star Wars RPG’s? (I know that Star Wars is a Space Opera, but it is still useful for comparison)
This isn’t the first cyberpunk RPG, so I’m curious what sets it apart from the others

sominator

Explorer
Thanks for your interest, and questions!

I worked as a professor in anthropology, media, and religious studies.

Our game is a d20 cyberpunk RPG that has a strong urban fantasy element. We're working to streamline a lot of the rules that you'd find in a d20 system and place the emphasis on action and roleplaying. We've also got a card-based collaborative hacking minigame in the works that can be played in under a minute (this will likely be a stretch goal in the eventual Kickstarter).

You'll find less grit and more heroics here than in Shadowrun, with a lot of fiction and worldbuilding to back it up. I quite like SWSE, and there's some feat/talent flavor in our game that is reminiscent of that system, but it's a much different game entirely.

You mentioned that you worked as a professor, can I ask what you taught?
Also, how does your game shape up in comparison to games like Shadowrun, Eclipse Phase, or the various Star Wars RPG’s? (I know that Star Wars is a Space Opera, but it is still useful for comparison)
This isn’t the first cyberpunk RPG, so I’m curious what sets it apart from the others

Remove ads