• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with a character idea

holyplankton

First Post
I'm not sure how many of you on here are familiar with the game League of Legends, but I've been playing it quite a bit lately and I was thinking of making a 3.5 character based on a character from League.

His name is Twisted Fate, and is a bit like Gambit from the X-Men in that he attacks by throwing cards at his enemies. One route here would obviously be Master Thrower, but one of Twisted Fate's abilities allows him to impart a specific ability to his cards (stun or slow) and I'm no sure how to work that into a D&D character. I'm also unsure what kind of weapon would work like throwing cards. Maybe squared-off shuriken?

Thoughts appreciated here. You guys always seem to know exactly how to maneuver the books into a great character. Psionics is the only thing prohibited here also.

Dandu

First Post
How tied are you to throwing physical objects vs casting spells?

If you take, for example, Burning Hands and tack on the Entangling Spell metamagic feat, for instance, you would get a cone shaped AOE effect that slows people. Born of Three Thunders stuns the enemy if they fail their saves. You'll want to use Quick Recovery or some other means of overcoming the Dazed condition if you use that, though.

It's a pity psionics aren't allowed though. I think there's some stuff in the XPH that would fit your character, but as we all know, psionics are broken because you can spend 15 points on a power at level one to deal 15d6 damage to a target.

Last edited:

holyplankton

First Post
I suppose I could do magic, but it would be with a focus on projectile spells. Maybe Entangling Spell with magic missile, but I really like the idea of throwing things. I should mention, however, that my current campaign is Gestalt. Not sure if I'll get to use this character for that or not, but I'll definitely take Gestalt builds that might work.

I havn't played League of Legends and its been a LONG time since I've read X-Men. But I'll try to help as best as I can.

For the weapon damage, you could ask your DM for blunt shurikens as you've stated but shurikens will require a feat to use. Maybe you can get away with it if its some sort of custom weapon you've made yourself. Otherwise, if you're going to spend a feat on an exotic weapon, I'd recommend Skiprocks (RotW and A&EG(?)). They do more damage, count as ammo for purchasing, and can bounce to adjacent creatures and do blunt damage. I don't know if you get sneak dice on both but I'd assume so. Otherwise, I have always liked throwing daggers. The gauntlet of infinite daggers helps out a lot here.

To get the stunned or slow effect take a look at the feats Head Shot (CSco) and Staggering Strike (CAdv). Head Shot will make them confused and while that's not exactly what you wanted its pretty close. Otherwise, ask your GM if you can substitute dazed for confused. Staggering Strike makes your target ... staggered. It's not the same as Slow but close enough. You can always stock up on Tanglefoot bags and some other items for extra tools in your arsenal.

In terms of what classes to take, I'd probably go either straight Rogue (Since you'll need 6d6 sneak for Head Shot) or Fighter/Rogue for feats, a little higher bab, and some more meat on your character. Master Thrower is a good PrC and if you can work it into your build, I would take it.

I hope this helps!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe squared-off shuriken?

Well, historically speaking, shuriken came in all kinds of shapes- besides stars, there were spikes, cones, and so forth. So metal "playing cards" would be just fine.

If you take a spellcasting class, like Sorc, BttlSorc, Beguiler, etc., you can use reserve feats as well.

Wind-Guided Arrows would improve accuracy.
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Wind-Guided_Arrows

Invisible Needle could replace the shuriken somewhat.
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Invisible_Needle

OTOH, a PC with Improved Unarmed Strike and Stunning Fist can take Ring the Golden Bell (Dragon Compedium v1) to deliver unarmed strikes at range. Those strikes deliver any effects the unarmed strike would- stunning effects, touch spells, Arcane Strike damage, etc.

The neat thing about those last 2 is that your shuriken then become a special effects descriptor for your powers.

Of course, what I find amusing is that the ban on psionics prevents you from going Soulknife (with PrCls like Kineticist or Soulbow)- one of the mechanically weakest classes out there- which is a perfect class for this PC (at least in terms of look & feel if not overall power), and it is the least Psionic of all psionic classes. It could easily be reflavored ss arcane or divine...

With the Soulknife feats from Dragon #341 , your PC would be manifesting multiple daggers capable of delivering whatever enhancements the SK could normally imbue his mind blade with.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872658/The_Soulknife_Handbook

(Love the SK though I do, I have to say it is flavorful, but not powerful.)

Last edited:

Tim Proctor

First Post
You are probably looking at Fighter, Rogue, Master Thrower, Fortune's Friend. I'd look at Alchemy Weapons and using Shurikens, specifically the Quickflame, frost, etc. from CoAdv 121. You can find some type of teleport equipment in the MiC for his ult.

tankiller

First Post
I personally really like this idea. Im currently building a quest where the villion is based on Nautalus.

Twisted Fate to me screams rogue/sorc. His love of gold and hustling card games is perfectly rogue. So that covers his passive. As for the deck of cards I would talk to your DM about a custom magic item. A magically enchanted deck of cards with the returning property would be best as what self respecting card shark would only want half a deck. As for pick a card effects the feats listed should work but you could also go the path of getting specific cards in your deck enchanted. And to avoid spamming specific cards just make it so they show up in the middle of the deck so you have to spend a move action to find a card you just through or wait 1d4 round to cycle through the deck. Now this deck would need your DMs approval but it's a cool idea and hopefully he will agree. I can also see exotic wep prof being needed.

Now sorc will help with your other spells and cover TF's thirst for magic. He has an attack speed buff so this is covered with the spell haste. His ult is a combo of Scry and Teleport. You just. Need to pick up those three spells and you are set.

Good luck with this build as it would be fun to play and see in action.

Remove ads