D&D (2024) New Bonus action: Run

Horwath

Legend
How to use this Bonus action?

After you have used Dash action and all your movement was in a straight line, you can use Run as a bonus action to continue moving in a straight line up to your speed.

Why this action?

It helps melee characters close distance to ranged ones if terrain permits it.
It also helps with escaping if terrain permits it.

Will this step on rogues toes with their cunning action?

No. Or more precise only marginally.

Cunning action for Dash can be used independently from your Action.
You can use that extra movement in any way terrain allows.
You can break it before and after your Action.

Lojaan

Hero
The problem I have with rules like this is that distance is arbitrary. If the DM decides that the archers are too far away to reach in a turn of dedicated movement, then they will be 100 feet away, instead of 70 feet away. Or there will be difficult terrain in the way. The result is the same. It adds complexity without adding meaningful choice.

Horwath

Legend
The problem I have with rules like this is that distance is arbitrary. If the DM decides that the archers are too far away to reach in a turn of dedicated movement, then they will be 100 feet away, instead of 70 feet away. Or there will be difficult terrain in the way. The result is the same. It adds complexity without adding meaningful choice.
If the DM plays against the players that way, then yeah, I agree, no rule will help.

DM can say that terrain is ×4 movement penalty. that is every foot of movement cost you 4ft.
And archers are behind arrow slits(+5 AC)

This is just addition for open field charges so melee characters can close to archers a round earlier.

I.E: longbow range, 150ft.

Melee lines are 170ft away for margin of error.

normal dash 60ft. that is 3 rounds of dashing and you attack on 4th round
Run+dash is 90ft, that is 2 rounds and you attack on 3rd round.

Once you've arrived next to someone, the other archers are going to calmly walk 30 feet away and continue pelting you. So the problem is running at them over an empty, open plain, not whether it takes you one more round or not..

Horwath

Legend
Once you've arrived next to someone, the other archers are going to calmly walk 30 feet away and continue pelting you. So the problem is running at them over an empty, open plain, not whether it takes you one more round or not..
when you arrive at the line you threaten atleast 3 archers with AoO if the move away.

it is considered that you will not charge alone at the line.

In dnd combat you most likely charge alone at a lone target or two targets maybe.

Clint_L

Hero
At a certain point, it starts to feel like they should just borrow the action economy from Pathfinder: everyone gets three actions, spend them how you want. Some things cost more than one action. In this case, movement is one action and you can do it three times if that's what you want.

Have to find a new perk for monks and rogues, though, since they can already do this.

Remove ads